Thread: Qt failing to compile claiming "fatal error: QObject: No such file or directory"

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Qt failing to compile claiming "fatal error: QObject: No such file or directory"

Hi!

I have a project developed in Qt 4.8 for Embedded Linux and Linux that compiles fine. Now I'm trying to compile it in Qt 5.5.1 in Windows 7 and I got a problem I'm being unable to solve: each time I try to compile it, I get the error

Qt Code:
    1. C:\Qt\Qt5.5\5.5\mingw492_32\bin\uic.exe interface\dialogs\alphanumerickeyboard.ui -o build\uis\ui_alphanumerickeyboard.h
    2. g++ -pipe -fno-keep-inline-dllexport -g -frtti -Wall -Wextra -fexceptions -mthreads -DUNICODE -DV_SERGIPETECH_0=0x100 -DV_SERGIPETECH_1=0x101 -DV_UNILA_0=0x110 -DGENERAL_VERSION_NUMBER=V_UNILA_0 -DAPP_VERSION=\"\" -DMAIN_CLOCK=1000 -DSCREENSAVER_SIMPLE_MODE -DCENTER_CONTROLLER -DPERIODIC_WIDGETS_UPDATE -DSAVE_ENTIRE_PQ -DDEFAULT_THEME_PATH='"D:/Desenvolvimento/RE8000SW/src/trunk/main_projects/interface/re8k_interface/../../..\main_projects\interface\theme"' -DDEFAULT_DATA_PATH='"D:/Desenvolvimento/RE8000SW/src/trunk/main_projects/interface/re8k_interface/../../..\main_projects\interface\data"' -DDEFAULT_TRANSLATION_PATH='"D:/Desenvolvimento/RE8000SW/src/trunk/main_projects/interface/re8k_interface/../../../main_projects/interface/translations"' -DDEFAULT_SCREENSHOT_PATH='"C:\Users\Administrador\Imagens\screenshots"' -DDEFAULT_RECORD_DIR='"C:\Users\Administrador\Documentos\TEMP\LogsRE8000"' -DDEFAULT_PENDRIVE_DIR='"C:\Users\Administrador\Documentos\TEMP\PendriveRE8000"' -DDEFAULT_VERSION_FILE_PATH='"C:\Users\Administrador\Documentos\TEMP\version.info"' -DCALIBRATION_FILE='"C:\Users\Administrador\Documentos\TEMP\caltouchpoints"' -DDEFAULT_ETC_PATH='"C:\Users\Administrador\Documentos\TEMP"' -DDESKTOP -DQT_WIDGETS_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_XML_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_NEEDS_QMAIN qtextension/qcycleimagebutton.cpp -o qtextension/QCycleImageButton
    3. In file included from qtextension/qcycleimagebutton.cpp:1:0:
    4. qtextension/qcycleimagebutton.hpp:4:19: fatal error: QObject: No such file or directory
    5. #include <QObject>
    6. ^
    7. compilation terminated.
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

for the same file, which starts as such:

Qt Code:
    1. #ifndef QCYCLEIMAGEBUTTON_H_
    2. #define QCYCLEIMAGEBUTTON_H_
    4. #include <QObject>
    5. #include <QAbstractButton>
    6. #ifdef DESKTOP
    7. #include <QtDesigner/QDesignerExportWidget>
    8. #else
    9. #define QDESIGNER_WIDGET_EXPORT
    10. #endif
    12. #include "interfaceglobal.hpp"
    14. class QLabel;
    15. class QImageButtonIllustration;
    16. class QImageSliderIllustration;
    18. typedef qint32 button_id;
    20. class QDESIGNER_WIDGET_EXPORT QCycleImageButton : public QAbstractButton
    21. {
    22. Q_OBJECT

I can assure the Qt installation went OK since I created a QWidgets project and it compiled fine. I also checked if there was anything special in the Projects configuration but I couldn't find any problems there.

I also tried to find solutions to this problem on the web, but nothing helpful was found. Here is my .pro file as for now (minus the .hpp and .cpp includes):

Qt Code:
    1. QT += core gui xml network
    2. greaterThan(QT_MAJOR_VERSION, 4): QT += widgets
    4. #CONFIG += qwt
    5. #CONFIG += qwtpolar
    7. RE8K_REPO = $${PWD}/../../..
    8. RE8K_COMMON = $${RE8K_REPO}/common
    9. RE8K_SDCARD = $${RE8K_REPO}/../../sdcard_files/defaultFiles
    10. RE8K_TRANSLATION = $${RE8K_REPO}/main_projects/interface/translations
    12. VERSION = $$system(svn info -r HEAD . | grep 'Changed\ Rev' | cut -b 19-)
    14. DEFINES += "GENERAL_VERSION_NUMBER=V_UNILA_0"
    15. DEFINES += APP_VERSION=\\\"$$VERSION\\\"
    16. #DEFINES += CLASSE_A_TEST
    17. #DEFINES += INTERFACE_DEMO #Special for the demo version
    18. DEFINES += MAIN_CLOCK=1000
    20. DEFINES += SCREENSAVER_SIMPLE_MODE
    21. #DEFINES += DATASTREAM_THREAD
    22. DEFINES += CENTER_CONTROLLER
    23. DEFINES += PERIODIC_WIDGETS_UPDATE #Enable update by 1 sec of all top level widgets to counter black screen bug
    24. DEFINES += SAVE_ENTIRE_PQ #When selecting one item of a Physical Quantity makes all items be saved in a record
    25. #DEFINES += SAVE_XML_TEST
    26. #DEFINES += XML_WITH_COMMENTS
    27. #DEFINES += RELEASE_VERSION
    28. #DEFINES USE_FULL_CURRENT_RANGE_CONFIG #Enables current range of all 4 channels
    30. INCLUDEPATH += $${RE8K_COMMON}/include
    31. INCLUDEPATH += qtextension
    33. LIBS += -L$${RE8K_COMMON}/lib #needed for hal, etc.
    34. LIBS += -lQDeviceWatcher
    36. CONFIG(debug, debug|release) {
    37. LIBS += -lmLoggerd
    38. }
    40. CONFIG(release, debug|release) {
    41. LIBS += -lmLogger
    42. }
    44. win32 {
    45. DEFINES += 'DEFAULT_THEME_PATH=\'\"$${RE8K_REPO}\main_projects\interface\theme\"\''
    46. DEFINES += 'DEFAULT_DATA_PATH=\'\"$${RE8K_REPO}\main_projects\interface\data\"\''
    47. DEFINES += 'DEFAULT_TRANSLATION_PATH=\'\"$${RE8K_TRANSLATION}\"\''
    48. DEFINES += 'DEFAULT_SCREENSHOT_PATH=\'\"C:\Users\Administrador\Imagens\screenshots\"\''
    49. DEFINES += 'DEFAULT_RECORD_DIR=\'\"C:\Users\Administrador\Documentos\TEMP\LogsRE8000\"\''
    50. DEFINES += 'DEFAULT_PENDRIVE_DIR=\'\"C:\Users\Administrador\Documentos\TEMP\PendriveRE8000\"\''
    51. DEFINES += 'DEFAULT_VERSION_FILE_PATH=\'\"C:\Users\Administrador\Documentos\TEMP\version.info\"\''
    52. DEFINES += 'CALIBRATION_FILE=\'\"C:\Users\Administrador\Documentos\TEMP\caltouchpoints\"\''
    53. DEFINES += 'DEFAULT_ETC_PATH=\'\"C:\Users\Administrador\Documentos\TEMP\"\''
    55. DEFINES += DESKTOP
    57. INCLUDEPATH += C:\Qt\Qwt-6.1.2\include
    58. INCLUDEPATH += C:\Qt\QwtPolar-1.1.1\include
    59. INCLUDEPATH += ..\..\..\third_party\mLogger\src
    60. INCLUDEPATH += ..\..\..\third_party\QDeviceWatcher\src
    62. LIBS += -LC:\Qt\Qwt-6.1.2\lib
    63. LIBS += -LC:\Qt\QwtPolar-1.1.1\lib
    65. TARGET = name_here
    66. }

Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by Momergil; 29th October 2015 at 17:28.
    May the Lord be with you. Always.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Qt failing to compile claiming "fatal error: QObject: No such file or directory"

Moving thread up!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Qt failing to compile claiming "fatal error: QObject: No such file or directory"

Your compiler call doesn't seem to have any of the include paths you've specified.
    Have you tried without any of those?

Also it might be necessary to escape the \ in the paths, especially in the DEFINES.
    For the DEFINES maybe even better use forward slashes.

Cheers,
    _

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by anda_skoa View Post
    Your compiler call doesn't seem to have any of the include paths you've specified.
    Have you tried without any of those?

Also it might be necessary to escape the \ in the paths, especially in the DEFINES.
    For the DEFINES maybe even better use forward slashes.

Cheers,
    _
    Thanks anda_skoa for the reply, but I confess I don't know what to do with the comments you gave me appart from the backslash which I put as an attempt to solve the problem (but I already put the back to forward slashes).

Regarding not having the include paths, yes, that's true: comparing the Output result of compiling the app for Desktop in Linux vs. Windows I get:

Qt Code:
    1. //Linux
    2. g++ -c -m64 -pipe -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DV_SERGIPETECH_0=0x100 -DV_SERGIPETECH_1=0x101 -DV_UNILA_0=0x110 -DGENERAL_VERSION_NUMBER=V_UNILA_0 -DAPP_VERSION=\"335\" -DMAIN_CLOCK=1000 -DSCREENSAVER_SIMPLE_MODE -DCENTER_CONTROLLER -DPERIODIC_WIDGETS_UPDATE -DSAVE_ENTIRE_PQ -DDEFAULT_THEME_PATH='"/home/maiquel/Projects/RE8000/src/trunk/main_projects/interface/re8k_interface/../../../main_projects/interface/theme"' -DDEFAULT_DATA_PATH='"/home/maiquel/Projects/RE8000/src/trunk/main_projects/interface/re8k_interface/../../../main_projects/interface/data"' -DDEFAULT_TRANSLATION_PATH='"/home/maiquel/Projects/RE8000/src/trunk/main_projects/interface/re8k_interface/../../../main_projects/interface/translations"' -DDEFAULT_SCREENSHOT_PATH='"~/Pictures/screenshots"' -DDEFAULT_RECORD_DIR='"/home/maiquel/Documents/TEMP/LogsRE8000"' -DDEFAULT_PENDRIVE_DIR='"/home/maiquel/Documents/TEMP/PendriveRE8000"' -DDEFAULT_VERSION_FILE_PATH='"/home/maiquel/Documents/TEMP/version.info"'
    3. -DCALIBRATION_FILE='"/home/maiquel/Documents/TEMP/caltouchpoints"' -DDEFAULT_ETC_PATH='"/home/maiquel/Documents/TEMP"'
    4. -DDESKTOP -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_XML_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.8.5/mkspecs/linux-g++-64 -I. -I/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.8.5/include/QtCore -I/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.8.5/include/QtNetwork -I/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.8.5/include/QtGui -I/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.8.5/include/QtXml -I/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.8.5/include -I../../../common/include -Iqtextension -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/qwt-6.1.0/include -I/usr/local/qwtpolar-1.1.0/include -Ibuild/mocs -Ibuild/uis -o build/objs/qcycleimagebutton.o qtextension/qcycleimagebutton.cpp
    6. //Windows
    7. g++ -pipe -fno-keep-inline-dllexport -O2 -frtti -Wall -Wextra -fexceptions -mthreads -DUNICODE -DV_SERGIPETECH_0=0x100 -DV_SERGIPETECH_1=0x101 -DV_UNILA_0=0x110 -DGENERAL_VERSION_NUMBER=V_UNILA_0 -DAPP_VERSION=\"\" -DMAIN_CLOCK=1000 -DHAS_GPS -DSCREENSAVER_SIMPLE_MODE -DCENTER_CONTROLLER -DPERIODIC_WIDGETS_UPDATE -DSAVE_ENTIRE_PQ -DDEFAULT_THEME_PATH='"D:/Desenvolvimento/RE8000SW/src/trunk/main_projects/interface/re8k_interface/../../../main_projects/interface/theme"' -DDEFAULT_DATA_PATH='"D:/Desenvolvimento/RE8000SW/src/trunk/main_projects/interface/re8k_interface/../../../main_projects/interface/data"' -DDEFAULT_TRANSLATION_PATH='"D:/Desenvolvimento/RE8000SW/src/trunk/main_projects/interface/re8k_interface/../../../main_projects/interface/translations"' -DDEFAULT_SCREENSHOT_PATH='"C:/Users/Administrador/Imagens/screenshots"' -DDEFAULT_RECORD_DIR='"C:/Users/Administrador/Documentos/TEMP/LogsRE8000"' -DDEFAULT_PENDRIVE_DIR='"C:/Users/Administrador/Documentos/TEMP/PendriveRE8000"' -DDEFAULT_VERSION_FILE_PATH='"C:/Users/Administrador/Documentos/TEMP/version.info"' -DCALIBRATION_FILE='"C:/Users/Administrador/Documentos/TEMP/caltouchpoints"' -DDEFAULT_ETC_PATH='"C:/Users/Administrador/Documentos/TEMP"' -DDESKTOP -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_WIDGETS_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_XML_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_NEEDS_QMAIN qtextension/qcycleimagebutton.cpp -o qtextension/QCycleImageButton

It's easy to see that both the includes of INCLUDEPATH as well as those of the Qt libraries are missing. The funny fact is that they are in the Makefiles!!

Qt Code:
    1. //Makefile.Release
    2. ...
    4. CC = gcc
    5. CXX = g++
    6. DEFINES = -DUNICODE -DV_SERGIPETECH_0=0x100 -DV_SERGIPETECH_1=0x101 -DV_UNILA_0=0x110 -DGENERAL_VERSION_NUMBER=V_UNILA_0 -DAPP_VERSION=\"\" -DMAIN_CLOCK=1000 -DHAS_GPS -DSCREENSAVER_SIMPLE_MODE -DCENTER_CONTROLLER -DPERIODIC_WIDGETS_UPDATE -DSAVE_ENTIRE_PQ -DDEFAULT_THEME_PATH='"D:/Desenvolvimento/RE8000SW/src/trunk/main_projects/interface/re8k_interface/../../../main_projects/interface/theme"' -DDEFAULT_DATA_PATH='"D:/Desenvolvimento/RE8000SW/src/trunk/main_projects/interface/re8k_interface/../../../main_projects/interface/data"' -DDEFAULT_TRANSLATION_PATH='"D:/Desenvolvimento/RE8000SW/src/trunk/main_projects/interface/re8k_interface/../../../main_projects/interface/translations"' -DDEFAULT_SCREENSHOT_PATH='"C:/Users/Administrador/Imagens/screenshots"' -DDEFAULT_RECORD_DIR='"C:/Users/Administrador/Documentos/TEMP/LogsRE8000"' -DDEFAULT_PENDRIVE_DIR='"C:/Users/Administrador/Documentos/TEMP/PendriveRE8000"' -DDEFAULT_VERSION_FILE_PATH='"C:/Users/Administrador/Documentos/TEMP/version.info"' -DCALIBRATION_FILE='"C:/Users/Administrador/Documentos/TEMP/caltouchpoints"' -DDEFAULT_ETC_PATH='"C:/Users/Administrador/Documentos/TEMP"' -DDESKTOP -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_WIDGETS_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_XML_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_NEEDS_QMAIN
    7. CFLAGS = -pipe -fno-keep-inline-dllexport -O2 -Wall -Wextra $(DEFINES)
    8. CXXFLAGS = -pipe -fno-keep-inline-dllexport -O2 -frtti -Wall -Wextra -fexceptions -mthreads $(DEFINES)
    9. INCPATH = -I. -I..\..\..\common\include -Iqtextension -IC:\Qt\Qwt-6.1.2\include -IC:\Qt\QwtPolar-1.1.1\include -I..\..\..\third_party\mLogger\src -I..\..\..\third_party\QDeviceWatcher\src -IC:\Qt\Qt5.5\5.5\mingw492_32\include -IC:\Qt\Qt5.5\5.5\mingw492_32\include\QtWidgets -IC:\Qt\Qt5.5\5.5\mingw492_32\include\QtGui -IC:\Qt\Qt5.5\5.5\mingw492_32\include\QtANGLE -IC:\Qt\Qt5.5\5.5\mingw492_32\include\QtXml -IC:\Qt\Qt5.5\5.5\mingw492_32\include\QtNetwork -IC:\Qt\Qt5.5\5.5\mingw492_32\include\QtCore -Ibuild\mocs -Ibuild\uis -IC:\Qt\Qt5.5\5.5\mingw492_32\mkspecs\win32-g++
    10. LINKER = g++
    11. LFLAGS = -Wl,-s -Wl,-subsystem,windows -mthreads
    12. LIBS = -lmingw32 -LC:/Qt/Qt5.5/5.5/mingw492_32/lib -lqtmain -lshell32 -LD:/Desenvolvimento/RE8000SW/src/trunk/main_projects/interface/re8k_interface/../../../common/lib -lQDeviceWatcher -lmLogger -LC:/Qt/Qwt-6.1.2/lib -LC:/Qt/QwtPolar-1.1.1/lib -lqwt -lqwtpolar -lQt5Widgets -lQt5Gui -lQt5Xml -lQt5Network -lQt5Core
    13. QMAKE = C:\Qt\Qt5.5\5.5\mingw492_32\bin\qmake.exe
    15. ...

So for some reason although qmake seems to be generating the Makefiles correctly, they are not being correctly obeyed by MinGW when it's called. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

So far I've done the following:

I created a new project and started adding each header and source file one by one. I managed to discover some of the files which, once included, would trigger the error. Then I started doing the same for one of those files: including line by line of code.

What I managed to find was that if I moved the instantiation of a class object to the source file (with the header including the problematic qimagebutton.hpp), the error appears. If I then move back, the error continues and persists till I completely erase the files, deletes the makefiles and rebuild everything again.

Ultimately I noticed that I was including qimagebutton.hpp indirectly in the same way we include Qt classes: creating a file without extension, putting the include inside and then including the extensionless file in the project: #include <QImageButton>. I decided, then, to remove this adding the file directly and problem solved! (at least so far).

So, for some reason, MinGW seems to dislike such indirect includes.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Yep, thanks, had same problem – indirect includes. Solved differently: changed indirect include file name to be different from class and header name:
    • class name: MyWorkItem
    • header name: "MyWorkItem.h"
    • indirect include name: <MyItems>, which contains:

Qt Code:
    1. #include "MyWorkItem.h"
    2. #include ...

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Solved differently: changed indirect include file name to be different from class and header name:
    This sounds like superstitious voodoo to me. The build toolchain shouldn't care what you name your classes and files so long as Make has a rule for any file that must be transformed during the build. Header files, indirect or not, aren't usually transformed themselves, but as part of a compilation unit that is, like a .ccp -> .o rule.

The entire Qt distribution is based on indirect include files as well as the letter-envelope paradigm using opaque private classes to implement functionality exposed by public-facing classes and APIs. In all cases I can think of, the indirect include file, the actual include file, the public class cpp file and the class itself all have the same names.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.