Thread: Opening a serial terminal based on COM port selection from QComboBox

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Opening a serial terminal based on COM port selection from QComboBox

Hi,

OS - Windows 10
    Qt version - Qt5

In my Qt GUI, I have a QComboBox for the COM port selection and "connect" push button. When I click on connect button, able to configure serial port properly and open() call is successful.

I am trying to build an serial port application between PC and a device.

But I am able to see a serial console terminal on clicking connect button. Can somebody help me out here!

Thanks in Advance,
    Anita

Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Opening a serial terminal based on COM port selection from QComboBox

Help with what exactly?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Opening a serial terminal based on COM port selection from QComboBox

Small correction, I am not able to open a new terminal on clicking connect push button for the COM port selected through combo box.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Why do you think that opening a serial port should create a complete terminal application?

I suggest you study Qt's Terminal example. If you use Qt Creator, it is one of the examples on the Examples part of the Welcome page.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Thanks, It was my understanding that just by configuring serial port and clicking a button would open a serial port.
    Yes, I have already executed Terminal example while exploring documents. For now, I think not necessary to open a new terminal.

My serial interface frame format is, SOF | command | Len | Data | Checksum | EOF. I would like to extract my read data based on command types with variable Len. Which is the better way to store frame data, buffer or structure?

connect(serial, &QSerialPort::readyRead, this, &MainWindow::serialReadyRead);

void MainWindow::serialReadyRead()
    {

QByteArray data = serial->readAll();
    QString str = QString(data);
    qDebug()<<"Received data : "<<data;

/* SOF | command | Len | Data | Checksum | EOF */
    /* parsing serial frame data takes place here */
    }

Where serialReadyRead() function, parses serial frame received data from another PC. Is there any correction required in the above implementation?

Best Regards,
    Anita

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Yes, the readyRead signal is generated after a few (one, several, different) bytes, not after a packet. Serial port knows nothing about your data structure. You have to build the package in the buffer yourself and start its analysis after receiving the EOF.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Thanks...

Just want to know, to build a package I am using QByteArray. But my Len and Checksum are of 2 bytes in size. How can I append 2 bytes to QByteArray?

Best Regards,
    Anita

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

How can I append 2 bytes to QByteArray?
    QByteArray::append() sounds like it could be useful for appending to a QByteArray.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.