Thread: Qt Visual Studio Tools for Visual Studio 2019 stopped working

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Qt Visual Studio Tools for Visual Studio 2019 stopped working

Hi,

Today, after months of working with few issues, the Qt Visual Studio Tools extension for Visual Studio 2019 stopped working on my computer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it using the "Manage Extensions" interface in Visual Studio, and I have used the Qt Maintenance Tool to uninstall and reinstall the "MSVC 2019 32-bit" and "MSVC 2019 64-bit" portions of the Qt 5.15.0 that I am using. That hasn't helped.

The error message starts with "The 'Vsix' package did not load correctly", and it tells me to look inside ActivityLog.xml for more information.

ActivityLog.xml contains "SetSite failed for package [Vsix]Source: 'QtVsTools' Description: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading, Version=16.8.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified." (As well as some other stuff.)

So is QtVsTools not working because it isn't finding a specific version of a threading library? What can I do to get it working again?

Thanks for any help.

DS

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Qt Visual Studio Tools for Visual Studio 2019 stopped working

See this, found via Google. Maybe that's the same as your issue.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Qt Visual Studio Tools for Visual Studio 2019 stopped working

Thanks, d_stranz! I didn't come across that one. Even though the versions are different, this is probably the issue. I have the Qt Visual Studio Tools extension set to auto-update, and it looks like there was an update made on March 3.

I have downloaded the previous version, but before I try it, I am fully updating my OS and everything from Windows Update, to see if the new version of the extension is using something that I was expected to have received from Microsoft. My organization has automatic updates from Microsoft turned off.

DS

Added after 1 1:

Just an update: The OS update didn't fix anything. I went back to the Qt Visual Studio Tools extension version 2.6.0.7 and that works. I had to uninstall/reinstall twice because it auto-updated within a few minutes, so the second time I installed it, I had my network cable unplugged and WiFi turned off until I unchecked the "Automatically update this extension" box.

While playing with all of this, I found that the Visual Studio Installer reports "The installer encountered an error" when I try "Check for updates" from Visual Studio itself. That is probably the ultimate source of the problem. I am probably missing some VS2019 update.

DS

Added after 27 minutes:

Yup. Everything is now updated including the Qt extension. My Visual Studio hadn't been updated since last August and I didn't notice. My bad. No issues with the Qt tools now that everything else is updated.
    Last edited by ds.mtl; 5th March 2021 at 23:57.