Thread: qmake sessions and placing subdir outputs into global binary dir (OUT_DIR)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Question qmake sessions and placing subdir outputs into global binary dir (OUT_DIR)

Hi,

I have a project with quite a few Qt-libraries and applications, organized in a directory structure and built using a central session file:

Directory structure:

Qt Code:
    1. build/Qt/MyProject.pro
    2. libs/lib1/lib1.pro
    3. libs/lib2/lib2.pro
    4. app/app1.pro
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

where MyProject.pro looks like:

Qt Code:
    1. TEMPLATE = subdirs
    2. SUBDIRS = Lib1 Lib2 App1
    3. Lib1.file = ../../libs/lib1/lib1.pro
    4. Lib2.file = ../../libs/lib2/lib2.pro
    5. App1.file = ../../app/app1.pro
    7. App1.depends = Lib1 Lib2

Now I want to use different Qt kits to test the compilation. The output directories are created like:

Qt Code:
    1. build/build-MyProject-Desktop_Qt_5_15_2_MSVC2019_64bit-Debug
    2. build/build-MyProject-Desktop_Qt_5_12_3_MSVC2017_64bit-Debug

Question:
    How can I define in my lib1.pro, lib2.pro and app1.pro files that the objects, moc, ui files etc. are all placed under the respective kit?

app/app1.pro:

Qt Code:
    1. OBJECTS_DIR = ???? -> should go to build/build-MyProject-Desktop_Qt_5_15_2_MSVC2019_64bit-Debug/App1
    2. MOC_DIR = ???? -> should go to build/build-MyProject-Desktop_Qt_5_15_2_MSVC2019_64bit-Debug/App1/moc
    3. UI_DIR = ???? -> should go to build/build-MyProject-Desktop_Qt_5_15_2_MSVC2019_64bit-Debug/App1/ui

or rephrased, how do I obtain the OUT_DIR = build-MyProject-Desktop_Qt_5_15_2_MSVC2019_64bit-Debug of the sessions project inside app1.pro ?
    Andreas

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: qmake sessions and placing subdir outputs into global binary dir (OUT_DIR)

Probably not the answer you want, but CMake is good at this type of thing. You can drive it from a script with a command line argument specifying the kit you want to use, then in the CMakeLists.txt file use that argument to generate the paths to the kit and the output files. I use this method to generate multiple builds of a large hierarchy of libraries for three different compiler versions, in 32- and 64-bit, release- and debug- modes.

I don't use Qt Creator, so I am not familiar with how you can automate builds with it. I had thought that all you had to do manually was to change the kit to use when building, and to select the appropriate kits in the kit configuration. I don't think any of this is stored in the .pro files.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.