Thread: Cross compiling qt6 for RPI 64 bit (aarch64)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Cross compiling qt6 for RPI 64 bit (aarch64)

I'm trying to cross compile qt6 for Bullseye on an Ubuntu 22.04.

Everything compiles, but I seeing unresolved externals that (I think) should be in clib:
    Qt Code:
    1. /usr/lib/gcc-cross/aarch64-linux-gnu/10/../../../../aarch64-linux-gnu/bin/ld: /home/dave/rpi-sysroot/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0: undefined reference to `__libc_dlopen_mode@GLIBC_PRIVATE'
    2. /usr/lib/gcc-cross/aarch64-linux-gnu/10/../../../../aarch64-linux-gnu/bin/ld: /home/dave/rpi-sysroot/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0: undefined reference to `__libc_current_sigrtmin_private@GLIBC_PRIVATE'
    3. /usr/lib/gcc-cross/aarch64-linux-gnu/10/../../../../aarch64-linux-gnu/bin/ld: /home/dave/rpi-sysroot/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0: undefined reference to `__libc_dlclose@GLIBC_PRIVATE'
    4. /usr/lib/gcc-cross/aarch64-linux-gnu/10/../../../../aarch64-linux-gnu/bin/ld: /home/dave/rpi-sysroot/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2: undefined reference to `_dl_sym@GLIBC_PRIVATE'
    5. /usr/lib/gcc-cross/aarch64-linux-gnu/10/../../../../aarch64-linux-gnu/bin/ld: /home/dave/rpi-sysroot/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0: undefined reference to `__libc_longjmp@GLIBC_PRIVATE'
    6. /usr/lib/gcc-cross/aarch64-linux-gnu/10/../../../../aarch64-linux-gnu/bin/ld: /home/dave/rpi-sysroot/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0: undefined reference to `__libc_allocate_rtsig_private@GLIBC_PRIVATE'
    7. /usr/lib/gcc-cross/aarch64-linux-gnu/10/../../../../aarch64-linux-gnu/bin/ld: /home/dave/rpi-sysroot/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0: undefined reference to `__libc_thread_freeres@GLIBC_PRIVATE'
    8. /usr/lib/gcc-cross/aarch64-linux-gnu/10/../../../../aarch64-linux-gnu/bin/ld: /home/dave/rpi-sysroot/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0: undefined reference to `__libc_dlsym@GLIBC_PRIVATE'
    9. /usr/lib/gcc-cross/aarch64-linux-gnu/10/../../../../aarch64-linux-gnu/bin/ld: /home/dave/rpi-sysroot/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0: undefined reference to `__libc_current_sigrtmax_private@GLIBC_PRIVATE'
    10. /usr/lib/gcc-cross/aarch64-linux-gnu/10/../../../../aarch64-linux-gnu/bin/ld: /home/dave/rpi-sysroot/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2: undefined reference to `_dl_addr@GLIBC_PRIVATE'
    11. /usr/lib/gcc-cross/aarch64-linux-gnu/10/../../../../aarch64-linux-gnu/bin/ld: /home/dave/rpi-sysroot/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2: undefined reference to `_dl_vsym@GLIBC_PRIVATE'
    12. /usr/lib/gcc-cross/aarch64-linux-gnu/10/../../../../aarch64-linux-gnu/bin/ld: /home/dave/rpi-sysroot/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0: undefined reference to `__libc_pthread_init@GLIBC_PRIVATE'
    13. /usr/lib/gcc-cross/aarch64-linux-gnu/10/../../../../aarch64-linux-gnu/bin/ld: /home/dave/rpi-sysroot/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0: undefined reference to `_dl_make_stack_executable@GLIBC_PRIVATE'
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

Another forum has a post saying that this is probably due to a mismatch between the cross-compiler on Ubuntu and the rpi.

Here's what's on the pi:

Qt Code:
    1. pi@raspberrypi:~ $ g++ --version
    2. g++ (Debian 10.2.1-6) 10.2.1 20210110

Here's what I have in the "toolchain.cmake":

Qt Code:
    1. set(CMAKE_C_COMPILER /usr/bin/aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc-10)
    2. set(CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER /usr/bin/aarch64-linux-gnu-g++-10)

I've also tried the -9 and -11 versions of gcc and g++, but get the same errors.

The poster said he solved the error by downgrading the Ubuntu host to 20.x. I'd do that, if I thought it would work, but seems like I should be able to use the same cross-compiler.

Three questions:

1) Are the unresolved externals indeed (likely) due to an incompatible C run time used by the cross-compiler?
    2) What cross compiler toolchain should I use?
    3) What cross compiler is available for cross-compiling on Ubuntu 20 (if any) that's not on Ubuntu 22?

Here's the guide I've been using:

https://wiki.qt.io/Cross-Compile_Qt_6_for_Raspberry_Pi
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Cross compiling qt6 for RPI 64 bit (aarch64)

I do not know if this is the cause, but unlike in Windows with Microsoft compilers, the order of modules specified in the linker command matters in linux / gcc. If any module depends on references defined in another module, the module that resolves the dependency must come after the module that needs it on the command line.

I pounded my head on the wall for some time trying to get something to link before I learned this nugget.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Cross compiling qt6 for RPI 64 bit (aarch64)

Quote Originally Posted by d_stranz View Post
    I do not know if this is the cause, but unlike in Windows with Microsoft compilers, the order of modules specified in the linker command matters in linux / gcc. If any module depends on references defined in another module, the module that resolves the dependency must come after the module that needs it on the command line.

I pounded my head on the wall for some time trying to get something to link before I learned this nugget.
    I don't understand why, but starting over with host Ubuntu 20.04 works fine.

Someone posted that on another forum, but that didn't make sense to me. And, since it takes a LONG time to recompile everything that's needed to get to the link stage, I was hesitant to even try. Seemed like all I should need was the right toolchain.

But, spent a couple of days trying various gcc and g++ versions, including the version on the target (Bullseye aarch rpi) and the version on Ubuntu 20.04 on the Ubuntu 22 host.

I followed the guide exactly--on Ubuntu 22 there were several issues I was able to work-around just to get to the "show-stopper" at link time.

On Ubuntu 20.04, worked first time, zero issues!

Go figure.