Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to change widget shape in QtDesigner ?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: How to change widget shape in QtDesigner ?

Do you use the Qt Creator environment directly for the modifications you have made ?
    So you always compile inside Qt Creator ?
    Which compiler do you use MinGW or Visual C++ ?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Do you use the Qt Creator environment directly for the modifications you have made ?
    No. I use Visual Studio 2022 for almost everything except looking at the Qt examples. For that I configure Qt Creator with the VC++ kit, so I use the same compiler in both cases.

To edit your code, I opened your sln file in Visual Studio and made the changes to the project properties to support my Qt version 5.15.3, VC++ version, and Windows toolkit version. And except for changing the Qt::StringLiterals to ordinary strings, I didn't change your code at all.

So you always compile inside Qt Creator ?
    No, see above. All of my projects are created inside of Visual Studio 2022 using the Qt Visual Studio plugin, and everything is compiled there. When you ask the Qt plugin to create a Qt QWidget-based class, it automatically creates the .ui file. When you double-click the ui file in the VS Solution Explorer window, it automatically executes Qt Designer to open the form for editing. When I am done editing, I save the changes, close Designer, and go back into Visual Studio to build.

Which compiler do you use MinGW or Visual C++ ?
    VC++ only.

If you are using Visual Studio for your development, there is really no reason for you to be using Qt Creator at all. If you don't have it already, install the Qt VS Tools for Visual Studio and you can do everything you need using only Visual Studio and Qt Designer.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by d_stranz View Post
    No. I use Visual Studio 2022 for almost everything except looking at the Qt examples. For that I configure Qt Creator with the VC++ kit, so I use the same compiler in both cases.
    Perfect, then we are with the same programming environment.
    At this point can you give me the direct link to download Qt 5.15.3 so I can install it too ?
    At this point it should work on mine as well.
    Like Qt VS Tools for Visual Studio which version do you use ?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

At this point can you give me the direct link to download Qt 5.15.3 so I can install it too ?
    Here is the link. It is source code only, you will have to build it. There is no pre-compiled version that I have found. See my description of that process here.

Like Qt VS Tools for Visual Studio which version do you use ?
    The latest - 2.8.0.
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Thumbs up Re: How to change widget shape in QtDesigner ?

OK, thanks, Now download and compile according to your instructions

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

As I feared, the build went on for 5 hours and then stopped due to various errors on the *.c code. At this point, I give up using custom plugins and use Qt 6.5 in Visual Studio C++ 2022. But I wonder when Qt will decide to create a QtCreator and Qt Designer environment for recent Visual Studio C++, without doing Qt Creator / Designer on different types of builds...

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

But I wonder when Qt will decide to create a Qt Creator and Qt Designer environment for recent Visual Studio C++, without doing Qt Creator / Designer on different types of builds...
    Probably never. Qt Creator and Qt Designer are on different release cycles from the Qt Framework.

But it doesn't matter - Creator and Designer are independent programs. You configure them to work with the version of Qt and the Visual Studio compilers that you have installed. Those two programs can be written using any version of Qt and built with any compiler. If you build a Qt distribution from source code, then these applications will be built using that version, but if you download a pre-built distribution, then they will be built using whatever tools the Qt team uses.

Since Microsoft released version 1.40 of the VS Platform Toolset (current version is 1.43), all binaries built with any 1.4x toolset are compatible, so you can use any version of Qt compiled with a 1.4x toolset with Visual Studio 2022. I used Qt 5.14.2 compiled with VS 2015 (and D/L from Qt website) for a long time with VS 2022 until I needed some features from 5.15.3 and had to build that from source code.

I think the problems you have been having are due to your configuration, not to your Qt Creator, Qt Designer, or Qt framework versions.

then stopped due to various errors on the *.c code.
    I saw similar errors, but everything I needed for desktop GUI development was built. If your build got to the point where all of the libraries you need were compiled, then you should be able to run "nmake INSTALL" to copy the files into your installation folder that you specified in the "prefix" option for the build.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Finally I managed to compile the test program for the led plugin and to be able to vary the properties of the plugin within the Qt Designer, both for the shape field and for the color field, which now finally can vary the shape and color of the led on the form in Qt Designer as I wanted. This result was obtained thanks to the constant help of d_stranz in the post "AnalogClock::staticMetaObject': definition of dllimport static data member not allowe".

9. The following user says thank you to giorgik for this useful post:

d_stranz (23rd May 2023)