Thread: QT C++ Desktop End of Life?

Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Default QT C++ Desktop End of Life?

Hi,

Been using QT C++ for desktop for as long it is was owned by Trolltech. It's been a wild ride and I always though "This is the way!". I've noticed over the years that the development for "Desktop" new widgets and improvements isn't happening. I realized that all the awaited features are getting stuffed in QT Quick/QML and "Desktop" is left behind with last century tools and widgets.

Any thoughts and/or hope that C++ Desktop would eventually get a facelifted with most recent widgets?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: QT C++ Desktop End of Life?

Are you asking about visual or functional facelift?
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Qt/Digia are not interested in developing it any further.

Desktop is not where they make money, so they have no intensive. I am developing a desktop program - and I feel a lot of "subsystems" are missing in Qt6. Many widgets I would like to have, I am just writing myself. Lots of "modern" programming paradigms are missing from widgets.

Its not dead.But I feel its a dead end.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

I too develop only desktop Qt/C++ applications. I stopped with Qt 5.15.3 because Qt's licensing model for Qt 6 was unacceptable for me. The set of UI widgets in that release are sufficient for my needs, and if I need something else, I look to KDAB, KDE Frameworks, or write my own.

I'm not all that worried if my applications look a bit old-fashioned. The market for which I write my applications isn't impressed by gee whiz UI features, they want usability and more importantly the results that the software produces.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Yes, same here. We also stayed at Qt 5.15 because of the licensing of Qt6.

Ginsengelf

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

which widgets were removed from "free" usage in Qt6 but were available in Qt5?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    Windows

Quote Originally Posted by elcuco View Post
    which widgets were removed from "free" usage in Qt6 but were available in Qt5?
    I don't think anything was removed between Qt5 and Qt6, at least not in the QtCore, QtGui, and QtWidgets components. There could have been new things added in Qt6, but since I'm not using it I can't tell you what those might be, if anything.

As the OP said, there have been many additions to QtQuick/QML which apparently do not have corresponding implementations on the QtWidgets side. In the early days of QtQuick and QML, things implemented on that side were also implemented on the QtWidgets side, but possibly that is because most of the work was in ensuring that QtQuick and QML were a more or less complete mapping from QtWidgets and not the other way around.
    <=== The Great Pumpkin says ===>
    Please use CODE tags when posting source code so it is more readable. Click "Go Advanced" and then the "#" icon to insert the tags. Paste your code between them.