Thread: Dynamic Language Switching

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Dynamic Language Switching

Hi. I've got a problem. I'd like to do dynamic language switching in my application, but there's a problem. In my book it is explained how to do it designing forms manually, not by designer. I created forms using designer. The problem is, that function createLanguageMenu() is very different than usual. And (I think) I can't make it by subclassing QMainWindow. Do you know what I mean? Have you got any ideas how to do it ?Regards

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Dynamic Language Switching

Quote Originally Posted by Salazaar View Post
    Hi. I've got a problem. I'd like to do dynamic language switching in my application, but there's a problem. In my book it is explained how to do it designing forms manually, not by designer. I created forms using designer. The problem is, that function createLanguageMenu() is very different than usual. And (I think) I can't make it by subclassing QMainWindow. Do you know what I mean? Have you got any ideas how to do it ?Regards
    Chapter 17 from http://trolltech.com/developer/documentation/books/2 german version ...
    the code is not on cd....

http://doc.trolltech.com/4.3/qtranslator.html detroy truncate the actual language and load a new ... translator file... on qmainwindow .

http://doc.trolltech.com/4.3/qcoreap...moveTranslator
    http://doc.trolltech.com/4.3/qcoreap...tallTranslator

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60 Maemo/MeeGo

I'm not sure if I understood the problem but hopefully this wiki article helps: Dynamic translation.
    J-P Nurmi

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Thanks a lot, I'll read it. Regards

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

No, that links didn't solve the problem. The problem is, that createLanguageMenu is different that, let's say, createFileMenu, and I am designing forms in designer, so I can't change createLanguageMenu without accessing ui_.h file code. And I'd like to know, how to do dynamic language switching when you were designing forms by designer, not manually. Regards

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms

It's done in code for the reason that usually you don't want a static hard coded language menu (done in designer) but rather a dynamic menu loaded according to detected language files. This way new language files can be added later without recompiling the application.
    J-P Nurmi

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Quote Originally Posted by jpn View Post
    It's done in code for the reason that usually you don't want a static hard coded language menu (done in designer) but rather a dynamic menu loaded according to detected language files. This way new language files can be added later without recompiling the application.
    I don't understand I'd like dynamic language switching, without necessity to rebuild application or run it again

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms

Quote Originally Posted by Salazaar View Post
    I don't understand I'd like dynamic language switching, without necessity to rebuild application or run it again
    You can do this with actions created in designer. You still might want to instantiate a QActionGroup or QSignalMapper in code instead of creating separate slots for each action. Then just switch the language according to the action (it's up to you whether you use text, objectName, data, or something else).

However, I was talking about flexibility with adding new translations. If you create language actions in designer, you will have to add a new action and recompile the application if you later decide to add a new translation to your application.
    J-P Nurmi