Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IDE for Linux

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: IDE for Linux

Yes. You said very nice things( posts #7 through #20).
    But how do you guys manage in a large project( hundreds to thousands of source files)?

Do you use grep + emacs( or kate, etc? ) + gdb.

No need to add that an IDE makes developing a lot easier, especially with an integrated debugger(gdb or whatever).

Regards

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Quote Originally Posted by marcel View Post
    But how do you guys manage in a large project( hundreds to thousands of source files)?
    If there are hundreds/thousands of files even an IDE can't make it *very* easy. So it is usually bit diffucult to manage them be it an ide or plain editors.
    But in my case i use etags and sometimes ebrowse that comes bundled with emacs. They help to jump to a particular function,definition.. as it is done visually in ide's.

Emacs is already integrated with grep and gdb. If you grep from emacs, you can jump to the particular line by just pressing ret on the required result line.
    The same for gdb too. It gives similar interface as in ide's with exception being commands and keybindings are used maximum instead of mouse clicks.

No need to add that an IDE makes developing a lot easier, especially with an integrated debugger(gdb or whatever).

Regards
    True It is always good to start with ide's initially(and even continue if you like it)
    BTW emacs is also an IDE, but not a fancy one.
    One of the main advantages of emacs,vim is very fast text editing. They help in accomplishing most of things a developer need only using keyboard rather than mouse and this really boosts productivity. There are lots of other advantages as well.
    If you have some free time you have a look at this for practical examples and also this for a brief emacs tour.
    The biggest difference between time and space is that you can't reuse time.
    -- Merrick Furst

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Well, to be honest, I've never worked on a project with more than 30 or so source-files and a simple editor works perfectly for projects that size.

No need for grep (yet), since I've never really worked in a team. And when I have, I did all the typing. I know my own source-code.

Kate is a fine application. Syntax highlighting. Multiple files open at the same time. Keyboard shortcut for gmake. I don't need much else.

And gdb... Yes, I usually debug my code with some well-placed cerr statements. ;-)

The truth is, I haven't taken the time to become familiar with an IDE. IDE's basically take control of your code. Before I will ever use one, I need to understand exactly what it does and when. I need to bend it to my own style and I need to feel comfortable using it.

Until now, every time I've tried using one, I've just been frustrated by the complexity, stubbornness and weight of it. (That would be Eclipse and KDevelop.)

I don't think I'd be happy with any IDE I haven't programmed myself. ;-)
    "The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to wage wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry