Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Handcoder's IDE for Qt

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Handcoder's IDE for Qt

Quote Originally Posted by magland View Post
    Simply copy your mkspecs and doc directories from c:\Qt\4.2.3 to directories called c:\Qt\4.3.0\mkspecs and c:\Qt\4.3.0\doc. This should do the trick and work perfectly.
    Yes, that works, thanks.

Anyway I hope you can fix it the right way. Otherwise this problem could arise if you later decide to distribute a stand-alone binary package (with Qt dlls or statically linked).

I have other suggestions, for the settings dialog (Tools->Settings):
    - it would be nice if you add some "select..." buttons so the user could choose the paths in a file dialog, instead of having to type the paths.

- as it seems that ctags.exe, doxygen.exe and dot.exe are included in your package, I think the default path for them should be relative instead of absolute. This way the paths will be correct after an update.

I explain: you install HiQt 0.1.14 in c:\HiQt-win-0.1.14 and run it for the first time. HiQt creates default paths for that programs (which are right). But then you upgrade to 0.1.15 installing it in c:\HiQt-win-0.1.15 (and delete the folder with the previous version). Now the paths for ctag.exe and others are wrong. They point to the old folder, so the user has to change them manually.
    If the default paths were "..\3rdparty\ctags\ctags.exe" and so on, that wouldn't happen, they will keep working between upgrades.

I have another problem: I can't compile anything. It says that it can't find g++ (it's not in the path)

And one question: where are the files created by doxygen saved?
    Last edited by Pepe; 5th August 2007 at 09:52.

2. The following user says thank you to Pepe for this useful post:

magland (5th August 2007)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'll make those changes for 0.1.16, couple days. Regarding finding g++, you need to add MinGw\bin to your path... but I think I should make some kind of configuration option for this as well. Overall the configuration dialog will be improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe View Post
    Yes, that works, thanks.

Anyway I hope you can fix it the right way. Otherwise this problem could arise if you later decide to distribute a stand-alone binary package (with Qt dlls or statically linked).

I have other suggestions, for the settings dialog (Tools->Settings):
    - it would be nice if you add some "select..." buttons so the user could choose the paths in a file dialog, instead of having to type the paths.

- as it seems that ctags.exe, doxygen.exe and dot.exe are included in your package, I think the default path for them should be relative instead of absolute. This way the paths will be correct after an update.

I explain: you install HiQt 0.1.14 in c:\HiQt-win-0.1.14 and run it for the first time. HiQt creates default paths for that programs (which are right). But then you upgrade to 0.1.15 installing it in c:\HiQt-win-0.1.15 (and delete the folder with the previous version). Now the paths for ctag.exe and others are wrong. They point to the old folder, so the user has to change them manually.
    If the default paths were "..\3rdparty\ctags\ctags.exe" and so on, that wouldn't happen, they will keep working between upgrades.

I have another problem: I can't compile anything. It says that it can't find g++ (it's not in the path)

And one question: where are the files created by doxygen saved?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Version 0.1.16: http://www.qt-apps.org/content/show....?content=62825

* Support for developing with previous versions of Qt. (Pepe, see readme.html.)
    * Improved configuration dialog.
    * Save Doxygen-generated documentation to file.
    * Significantly reduced compilation time (qmake-HiQt trimmed way down)
    * Others...

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hi, I've just downloaded this new version.

After doing what the readme.html says, yes it works with Qt 4.2.3 The class browser works, the documentation view shows the docs, compilation also works (althought Build->Run does not).

But there's a problem. For some reason now the code completion doesn't work.

I type:
    Qt Code:
    1. logo = new QLabel(this);
    2. logo->
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

Nothing happens. In the previous version a list with functions appeared.

Suggestion: the new configuration dialog, it says that some of the fields are not testable (like assistant or designer) but I think at least you could check if the binary exists in that path.

Update: no, compilation doesn't work It worked before 'cos I ran HiQt from a Qt Command prompt, where C:\MinGW\bin is in the path, but if I run HiQt by double clicking in its icon then compilation doesn't work, can't find g++
    Last edited by Pepe; 7th August 2007 at 10:18.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Pepe, I can see why code completion is not working for you, and I'll fix that for the next release. But for now, here's the temporary work-around: copy your c:\qt\4.2.1\include to c:\qt\4.3.0\include.

Edit: also you'll need to copy c:\qt\4.2.1\src over as well .

Regarding c:\mingw\bin being in your path... I intend to make a configuration option to add such things to the path. However, why don't you just add it to your system path environment variable: Control Panel->Settings->Environment variables ?

I will also make "designer" and "assistant" testable as you suggest.

Regards
    Last edited by magland; 7th August 2007 at 13:10.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Regarding c:\mingw\bin being in your path... I intend to make a configuration option to add such things to the path. However, why don't you just add it to your system path environment variable: Control Panel->Settings->Environment variables ?
    Sorry but I can't find that option.

(My system is in Spanish and I don't know which icon is for "settings", anyway I tried some of them and none has any option to add environment variables).

Edit: I finally found it (explained here). Now compilation works ok.

BTW, I experienced some crashes when moving the doc view to another dock area. These are the latest lines in the log (I don't know if they will useful or not):
    check_for_files_modified_outside_editor(); begin
    check_for_files_modified_outside_editor(); end
    check_for_reload_projects(); begin
    check_for_reload_projects(); end
    update_navigation_window_if_visible(); begin
    update_navigation_window_if_visible(); end
    update_visible_files(); begin
    update_visible_files(); end
    perhaps update_classmodel; begin
    perhaps update_classmodel; end
    update_current_window_highlighting(); begin
    update_current_window_highlighting(); end
    Last edited by Pepe; 7th August 2007 at 15:37.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

BTW, I experienced some crashes when moving the doc view to another dock area. These are the latest lines in the log (I don't know if they will useful or not):
    I was able to reproduce that crash on my system and will look into it... thanks for the report!

Update: Crash fixed and uploaded new version: 0.1.17
    Last edited by magland; 7th August 2007 at 17:33.

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I tested version 0.1.17. This version has fixed almost all problems: the class browser works, code completion works, even some kind of tooltip appears to reminds you the parameters of the function, which I find extremely useful.

Anyway there's still something that doesn't work: Build->Run. Even I have added C:\Qt\4.2.3\bin to the path nothing happens when I select that option. There's a message in the console saying that it's running the executable (the path that appears is right).

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

I tested version 0.1.17. This version has fixed almost all problems: the class browser works, code completion works, even some kind of tooltip appears to reminds you the parameters of the function, which I find extremely useful.

Anyway there's still something that doesn't work: Build->Run. Even I have added C:\Qt\4.2.3\bin to the path nothing happens when I select that option. There's a message in the console saying that it's running the executable (the path that appears is right).
    Pepe, I believe this is a subtle problem having to do with your program somehow seeing the 4.3.0 libraries instead of the 4.2.3 when it is launched from within HiQt.... (I assume the program works fine when you launch it from, say, windows explorer?) Can you please confirm whether this is the same behavior when you compile and run a simple Qt example program, say from the 4.2.3 examples?

I have an idea of how to fix, and I may just send you a patched version of 0.1.17 once you respond regarding above points.

BTW, so you saw the "qt_include_path" configuration parameter I assume?

Hang in, because next release will have option of QScintilla editor.

Cheers

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

(I assume the program works fine when you launch it from, say, windows explorer?)
    Yes.

Can you please confirm whether this is the same behavior when you compile and run a simple Qt example program, say from the 4.2.3 examples?
    I think the problem could be related to paths with spaces.

I tried with one of the Qt examples (C:\Qt\4.2.3\examples\mainwindows\application) and Build->Run works. But if I copy it to C:\Documents and Settings\Pepe\My Documents (compile it again) then Build->Run does not work.

BTW, so you saw the "qt_include_path" configuration parameter I assume?
    Yes.
    Last edited by Pepe; 10th August 2007 at 07:56.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

I think the problem could be related to paths with spaces.
    I tried with one of the Qt examples (C:\Qt\4.2.3\examples\mainwindows\application) and Build->Run works. But if I copy it to C:\Documents and Settings\Pepe\My Documents (compile it again) then Build->Run does not work.
    So, if you move your non-qt-example program to a path without spaces does it run? If so, your problem is solved for now, - just don't develop within "documents and settings" and the like.

I will try to fix this problem for next release. Does anybody know the best way to use QProcess::start with a program with spaces in the path?

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I changed line 957 in HiQtMainWindow.cpp:
    Qt Code:
    1. process->start(targetpath);

with

Qt Code:
    1. process->start("\""+targetpath+"\"");

and now it works.

14. The following user says thank you to Pepe for this useful post:

magland (10th August 2007)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Hello
    First of all: Great work. Especially when in version 0.2.0 there will be line numbers etc...

But what I would like to suggest is one improvement/change concerning the code completion. Let's say there are two functions funcOne and funcTwo. Let's assume they are member functions of some class X and when I have an object obj of X and I write:
    Qt Code:
    1. obj->funcO
    the right item funcOne is selected. So far so good.

Now it would be really nice if when I type 'funcO' and then '(' it would be the same as pressing enter, i.e. after the '(' the completion would insert:
    Qt Code:
    1. obj->funcOne(

I hope this is possible, as it would imho improve the workflow.

Regards

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Quote Originally Posted by QTmplayer View Post
    Hello
    First of all: Great work. Especially when in version 0.2.0 there will be line numbers etc...
    Thanks, I think you will like 0.2.0...

Quote Originally Posted by QTmplayer View Post
    But what I would like to suggest is one improvement/change concerning the code completion. Let's say there are two functions funcOne and funcTwo. Let's assume they are member functions of some class X and when I have an object obj of X and I write:
    Qt Code:
    1. obj->funcO
    the right item funcOne is selected. So far so good.

Now it would be really nice if when I type 'funcO' and then '(' it would be the same as pressing enter, i.e. after the '(' the completion would insert:
    [CODE]obj->funcOne([/CODE

I hope this is possible, as it would imho improve the workflow.

Regards
    Actually, QTmplayer, that functionality was in the original versions, but I took it out for the following reason: Suppose the code completions was not 100% accurate, and it missed some funky function called , say "funcO" to go a along with your example. Then I would like to override the completion list and just type funcO(, but that of course would give the undesired result.

Nevertheless, it's easy enough to put in a check box in the preferences called "Complete code on open parenthesis". so I'll make a note to put it in for 0.2.0

17. The following user says thank you to magland for this useful post:

QTmplayer (31st August 2007)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

HaiQ 0.2.0 for Windows released!

Lots of changes... hope you like it.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

This thread will be closed, and the discussion will continue in a separate thread.