Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: static function/object accessibility

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: static function/object accessibility

right again! ...this was just a test: the label "vuXLocLabel" will exist somewhere else--not on the zXag QStack or any other Stack--but I put it there just to test this out for convenience... by mistake (putting it on a stack).

huh- this was the cause of my original error, before I got into the Singleton stuff, i bet. Nevertheless, I'm glad ya'll helped me thru it: I still don't understand fully why, but I gather from this and other threads global variables--apparently even the kind I had coded in my original post--are a bad idea. I'll have to go back and re-do dafo.h/dafo.cpp using this singleton approach, I guess.

I'm still curious how this will work after I make the proper connections: for this test the QLabel is updated just once with a function call, but I'm going to created 3 QLabels that are updated by movement of the camera... ~25/sec. I'll be interested to see how making 3 getLabel()->setText("x/y/z") calls, 25/sec, works out.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: static function/object accessibility

I'm still curious how this will work after I make the proper connections: for this test the QLabel is updated just once with a function call, but I'm going to created 3 QLabels that are updated by movement of the camera... ~25/sec. I'll be interested to see how making 3 getLabel()->setText("x/y/z") calls, 25/sec, works out.
    I wouldn't worry about that. There will be 25 function calls + signals/slots overhead.
    There shouldn't be any problem with calling a function 25 times/second.

Eventually you could skip some of those values since no one can really see 25 coordinates/second anyway.

Regards