Thread: Is it possible to create a plugin interface that uses inheritance?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11

Default Is it possible to create a plugin interface that uses inheritance?

if I have a plugin interface that inherits from another class, how do I get plugins compiled with the interface to link (LIB) to the inherited class?

I want to have something like

class AInterface : public B
    {
    virtual ~AInterface() {}
    }

Q_DECLARE_INTERFACE(AInterface, "blah")

which compiles fine but won't load, seems to have silent linker errors in QPluginLoader with class B.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Is it possible to create a plugin interface that uses inheritance?

I think that is not good idea to inherit interface from a concrete class. You probably should to revise your architecture.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Just make B inherit the interface, not the other way round.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Plugins can't access members/methods of a class that is defined in the application that load them. If B was a Qt class (and not extended in any way within your app) you could use that inheritance scheme. Otherwise you have two solutions left : drop it and use a new design or put the B class ( and it's dependencies) into a shared library that will be accessible to both the application and the plugins since both could link to it...
    Current Qt projects : QCodeEdit, RotiDeCode

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11

If I was to create a shared library, I'm guessing it would make sense for both the application and the plugin to link to the shared dylib instead of the app compiling it in and the plugin linking.

Would I create a dylib by using the TEMPLATE=lib (with CONFIG=?something?) method or is there another way?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by themolecule View Post
    Would I create a dylib by using the TEMPLATE=lib (with CONFIG=?something?) method or is there another way?
    That's the way. Add "shared" and/or "dll" to the CONFIG var to make sur you don't get a static build...

7. The following user says thank you to fullmetalcoder for this useful post:

themolecule (22nd August 2007)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11

Thanks!

And I'm guessing that in the app and the plugin, I include the header for my shared library and include the dylib in the LIBS .pro setting (not include the source cpp in either). This has nothing to do with QPluginLoader and I will have to use otool and install_name_tool to move things for deployment. Is that right?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by themolecule View Post
    And I'm guessing that in the app and the plugin, I include the header for my shared library and include the dylib in the LIBS .pro setting (not include the source cpp in either). This has nothing to do with QPluginLoader and I will have to use otool and install_name_tool to move things for deployment. Is that right?
    That's right (though I can't help you with Mac deployment issues...). You may also need to change your INCLUDEPATH acordingly.