Thread: Qwt in the VS2k5 toolkit

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Qwt in the VS2k5 toolkit

Here we go with another thread on getting Gwt to appear in the Qt toolkit under VS2k5. Yes, I have read all the other threads available on the subject (as far as I know ;-))
    I have copied the DLL files wherever I thought they might help by now (I'm getting desperate), I removed the HKCU registry key (as suggested by some other threads).. Nothing works. It has been working fine for a while in the standalone Qt Designer, they show up fine there.. In Visual Studio the toolkit still only contains the widgets that were there from the start... If anyone has any ideas, please help..

Regards,
    Ko9

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Qwt in the VS2k5 toolkit

I solved the problem..
    For those looking for the answer, here's a quick summary of what I did:

• I started over completely, removed qwt, qt, even the qt VS integration
    • I installed the latest version of Qt, its VS integration and copied the qwt source to my HD
    • I compiled qwt as described in the manual, using a simple qmake/nmake
    • I then copied the qwt_designer_plugin.dll (in %QWTDIR%\designer\plugins\designer) along with its .exp and .lib to the %QTDIR\plugins\designer directory, and just the .dll to the VS integration plugins directory
    • Make sure all the paths are valid (check the include and library directories inside visual studio settings AND the path environment variable should contain the %QTDIR%\bin directory)

Doing all this gets it working when compiling IN RELEASE MODE.
    When you are compiling using debug mode, the program will shut itself down right away. To be able to use debug mode, you need the qwt library compiled the same way. Sadly, the makefile has got serious issues, and if you compile as debug it will overwrite the release library..
    To fix that, open up %QWTDIR\src\Makefile.debug and rename all the output files to qwt5d.* instead of qwt5.* (e.g. qwt5d.lib instead of qwt5.lib). This creates a debug library alongside the release library. Copy the DLLs created to the %QTDIR%\bin so that your programs will be able to see it (since that directory is in the path variable).
    This should get everything working. If I missed anything, at least you should be pretty close now and should be able to figure out the rest on your own..

regards,
    Ko9

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Qwt in the VS2k5 toolkit

Doing all this gets it working when compiling IN RELEASE MODE.
    When you are compiling using debug mode, the program will shut itself down right away. To be able to use debug mode, you need the qwt library compiled the same way. Sadly, the makefile has got serious issues, and if you compile as debug it will overwrite the release library..
    To fix that, open up %QWTDIR\src\Makefile.debug and rename all the output files to qwt5d.* instead of qwt5.* (e.g. qwt5d.lib instead of qwt5.lib). This creates a debug library alongside the release library. Copy the DLLs created to the %QTDIR%\bin so that your programs will be able to see it (since that directory is in the path variable).
    I know this is annoying, but (IMHO) handling of these MS specific problems is something that has to be added to qmake. If you have a commercial license please add a change request to Trolltechs task tracker.

Uwe