Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Public Qt Widget/Component exchange sites

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

    Cool Public Qt Widget/Component exchange sites

    Hello,

    I am new to the world of Qt.
    I (am)/was using Borland C++ Builder (BCB) for long time. As some of you may know that there are many (eg. www.torry.net) site on the internet that you can find many thousands of freeware and shareware software components for BCB and Delphi.

    I wonder if there is Qt equivalent of www.torry.net like web site which I can find (hopefully
    many thousands of) freeware and shareware Qt widgets/components.

    Regards,

    Miem Chan

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland
    Posts
    33,364
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 5,014 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits
    10

    Default Re: Public Qt Widget/Component exchange sites

    You won't find thousands of widgets, but you may start here:
    http://www.wysota.eu.org/wwwidgets
    http://www.libqxt.org
    http://www.ics.com
    http://www.kdab.net

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

    Default Re: Public Qt Widget/Component exchange sites

    Dear "wysota",

    Thank you for your reply.
    As I mentioned in my original post, I'm (slowly) moving away/migrating from Borland C++ Builder (BCB) in to the new world of Qt. This migration is mainly due to for two reasons;
    (a) I need to develop SW applications portable between Windows and Linux,
    (b) degrading support and unclear future of BCB (particularly after Borland separated its SW development tools to a new company CodeGear).

    However it is VERY surprising/disappointing for me to realize that, compared to the existing huge BCB software component (free) market, the Qt widget/component base on the internet seems to be virtually nonexistent. (I hope I am mistaken.)

    Why Qt (compared to BCB) has very weak community and software support on the internet?

    Can someone (please) show me that I'm wrong?

    I hope there exist hidden treasures of Qt, much richer than BCB, that are waiting to be discovered.

    Regards,

    Miem Chan

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    2,744
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 541 Times in 521 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

    Default Re: Public Qt Widget/Component exchange sites

    Dear "wysota",
    That's actually his name .

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland
    Posts
    33,364
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 5,014 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits
    10

    Default Re: Public Qt Widget/Component exchange sites

    Quote Originally Posted by Miem View Post
    However it is VERY surprising/disappointing for me to realize that, compared to the existing huge BCB software component (free) market, the Qt widget/component base on the internet seems to be virtually nonexistent. (I hope I am mistaken.)
    Is there a specific component you are missing? From my point of view really most of the common tasks can be made with built in Qt widgets. If you are looking for dozens of table or button components for specific tasks, then look no more. 99% of these can be done with QTableView

    KDE is also an option if you can live with additional dependencies. Its widgets (in their Qt4 variants) should be fully usable on all Qt supported platforms.

    Why Qt (compared to BCB) has very weak community and software support on the internet?
    Hmm... I think the support is quite fine, both the community and commercial ones. Maybe we just differently understand the term "support".

    I hope there exist hidden treasures of Qt, much richer than BCB, that are waiting to be discovered.
    I suggest you first discover what Qt has to offer and then start looking for other components. Think about it this way - if there are lots of custom components for Borland, it means that they were created because standard components couldn't do the job. This is not the case with Qt.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Rakovnik, Czech Republic
    Posts
    175
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

    Default Re: Public Qt Widget/Component exchange sites

    Quote Originally Posted by marcel View Post
    That's actually his name .
    Cherokee Indian name; means "codes with running buffalo"... (or runs with coding buffalo... i forget)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland
    Posts
    33,364
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 5,014 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits
    10

    Default Re: Public Qt Widget/Component exchange sites

    "Wysota" means "height" in Russian and it's a bit funny, because I'm actually not tall at all But indeed this is my last name.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

    Default Re: Public Qt Widget/Component exchange sites

    Dear Wysota,

    Please accept my apologies as I used your name in quotation in my previous posting. Your name is/was appearing in small letters (ie. it was not stared with the capital letter) hence I could not realized that it is your name.

    Sorry,

    Miem Chan

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland
    Posts
    33,364
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 5,014 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits
    10

    Default Re: Public Qt Widget/Component exchange sites

    No problem. That's my nick on this forum after all.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

    Default Re: Public Qt Widget/Component exchange sites

    Quote Originally Posted by wysota View Post
    ...
    I suggest you first discover what Qt has to offer and then start looking for other components. Think about it this way - if there are lots of custom components for Borland, it means that they were created because standard components couldn't do the job. This is not the case with Qt.
    Yes, I think I need a bit more time to get used to Qt. On the other hand, Borland C++ Builder (BCB) comes with many (much more than the number of widgets in the Qt) components. I know that one can subclass existing components/widgets to drive new components/widgets. Regardless of how good the original base components/widgets, there is always need for many new components. If you visit a BCB component web site (such as www.torry.net) you will see how creative developers/users would be to extend the existing components/widgets.
    It is not only buttons, tables, labes etc. There are many (thousands) other of components.

    I think Qt community should establish a web site (similar to www.torry.net or http://delphi.icm.edu.pl etc) and start share components/widgets.

    Regards,

    Miem Chan

    P.S. Following is an incomplete short list of Windows AND Linux compatible Qt components/widgets that I'm looking for. Do you know any public Qt components for these functionalities;
    * Multiple live multi video display and capture components/widgets (capability of displaying and capturing from multiple USB and FireWire video input devices)
    * Audio input/output (optionally with 3d control) components/widgets
    * Joystick interface components
    * Multi-threaded serial (RS232) communication components/widgets with customizable input parser
    * Components/widgets to allow IO ports and HW interrupts (http://www.torry.net/pages.php?id=227)
    * Components/widgets for accessing to Intel's high resolution counter for high precision timer and time measurement (http://www.torry.net/pages.php?id=294)
    * Skin components/widgets (to create/change skinnable user interface in Qt)
    * Tray-icon components/widgets (to build applications to minimize into the system tray -like MSN Messanger, Skyoe etc-)
    * Components/widgets to Load/display/manipulate 3ds,obj,lwo objects in OpenGL panel
    * GPS (NMEA) message parser components/widgets
    * Text to speech converter components/widgets (http://www.torry.net/pages.php?id=170)
    * LEDs (http://www.torry.net/pages.php?id=120), variety of dials & displays (http://www.torry.net/pages.php?id=503) components/widgets
    * Non-rectangular forms (form size is defined by a background BMB/Jpeg file see also http://www.torry.net/pages.php?id=94)
    * NTP client and server components/widgets
    * . . .

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland
    Posts
    33,364
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 5,014 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits
    10

    Default Re: Public Qt Widget/Component exchange sites

    Quote Originally Posted by Miem View Post
    Multiple live multi video display and capture components/widgets (capability of displaying and capturing from multiple USB and FireWire video input devices)
    * Audio input/output (optionally with 3d control) components/widgets
    * Joystick interface components
    * Multi-threaded serial (RS232) communication components/widgets with customizable input parser
    * Components/widgets to allow IO ports and HW interrupts (http://www.torry.net/pages.php?id=227)
    * Components/widgets for accessing to Intel's high resolution counter for high precision timer and time measurement (http://www.torry.net/pages.php?id=294)
    * Skin components/widgets (to create/change skinnable user interface in Qt)
    * Tray-icon components/widgets (to build applications to minimize into the system tray -like MSN Messanger, Skyoe etc-)
    * Components/widgets to Load/display/manipulate 3ds,obj,lwo objects in OpenGL panel
    * GPS (NMEA) message parser components/widgets
    * Text to speech converter components/widgets (http://www.torry.net/pages.php?id=170)
    * LEDs (http://www.torry.net/pages.php?id=120), variety of dials & displays (http://www.torry.net/pages.php?id=503) components/widgets
    * Non-rectangular forms (form size is defined by a background BMB/Jpeg file see also http://www.torry.net/pages.php?id=94)
    * NTP client and server components/widgets
    * . . .
    Hmm... do you know what is a widget? Because based on the above list I have strong doubts about that... For these items of the above list that are widgets I can say that these are indeed available either directly in Qt or in 3rd party sets like Qwt.

Similar Threads

  1. Link Errors
    By magikalpnoi in forum Qt Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25th September 2006, 22:04

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Digia, Qt and their respective logos are trademarks of Digia Plc in Finland and/or other countries worldwide.