Thread: Designer Layout Tips?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Designer Layout Tips?

I'm posting this thread to ask is there any layout tips, possibly website, forum posts, etc.

The reason why I ask is because I come from the Visual Studio .rc file way where I would place the absolute positions and control dynamically through code. Now I know I can do that in Qt as well, however I want to try out using the recommended layout method with spacers, horizontal/vertical/grid/etc layouts.

So far in my playing with Qt I've been able to use the layouts but I have a hard time conceptualizing how to do this will LOTs of controls on a page. For example say I have my page all built up nice and I want to add another control...breaking the layouts to place the control and then building back up the layouts is a pain. I know you can drag and drop into the current layout but copying and pasting an already setup control didn't quite seem to work.

I guess I'm just asking how are you guys building your user interfaces? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Designer Layout Tips?

What is wrong with dragging the new widget into an existing layout? I didn't quite get what you meant...
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

I guess I was having trouble re-arranging them. Especially when moving the controls down to the bottom of a layout. It turns out its easier to move the controls up from the bottom then to get that little blue line just right to insert.

Anyways I guess I just posted too soon....i'm getting the hang of this now. Just takes some getting used to.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

If you have a very complex layout it is sometimes good to refactor the form and use the widget promotion feature to compose a single form from several separate sub-forms.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.