Hi all.
First of all I would like to thank all those involved in the 'Qt Project' - I think Qt is amazing.
I wish to learn Qt and I have obtained a few Qt books (C++ GUI Programming with Qt4, The Art of Building Qt4 Applications, Foundations of Qt Development).
I have given myself a project as I find there is a very big difference in trying to learn from a book and actually creating a 'real' application that would be useful. The project is an instrument panel that will display the current status of certain instruments connected to the PC. These may include temperature, air pressure, humidity, and so on.
As this is my first project I have a very great deal to learn.

I would like each instrument in the instrument panel to have a label to identify that instrument and at least one other label (or alternative) to display the reading of the instrument (in addition to the analogue indication of the instrument pointer). The first would probably be best located over the instrument with the second probably located underneath the instument.
'Temperature' instruments should probably look similar to a thermometer. Other instruments would probably look similar to a circular dial with a scale.
It would seem to me that it would be appropriate to create some form of frame widget containing one of the required instruments and the required lables.
Each frame widget could then be placed into a 'main window' widget.

I am not at all sure how this type of construction would react to main window resizing.

Would this be an appropriate approach, or is there a better approach?

Take care.

Mke