Thread: exe and dll

Default exe and dll

I made a small application to write csv for my game. It works cute and great when I Run it through QT Creator, but if I try running it from outsite (Windows`s Window XD) it sends me an Error saying I don`t have the correct .dll
    I need to pass this application to a friend of mine who is making the level design.
    Soooooo Noobs Quesssstion time!
    1) How to make an easy install for the aplication I created? (it only has 5 files! it cant be that hard! then again, I`m a noob...T_T)
    2) How to solve the .dll problem, so that it doesn`t happend to him when he tries to run the program.

thanks for your time! Make the world a smarter place, help the noobs!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: exe and dll

First thing first, you need to determine which Qt DLL files your application requires. This can be done very easily by using something like Dependency Walker or by setting up a blank virtual machine with your target operating system on it (using VirtualBox for example). Personally, I use the latter, not least because it allows me to also test my application in an environment which I know doesn't have Qt.

Once you know which Qt DLL files your application needs, you might want to use a packaging software, such as NSIS. This is what I use, though not directly, but through CMake/CPack, since it allows me to package my application relatively easily on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

3. The following user says thank you to agarny for this useful post:

szisziszilvi (9th February 2011)

Default Re: exe and dll

Thanks for the guidance (is this how I write it? XD my english suck T_T)
    I will take a look at it, if I have any other questions, I`ll be back. ^^