Thread: Why isn't QPainterPath::intersects giving me the expected result?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Why isn't QPainterPath::intersects giving me the expected result?

I made the following test code for the QPainterPath::intersects test function. I wanted a way to detect if a point is in the vicinity (let's say 2 pixels) of a line stored in a QPainterPath.

Qt Code:
    1. path.moveTo(0, 0);
    2. path.lineTo(0, -20);
    3. path.lineTo(40, -20);
    4. path.lineTo(40, -95);
    5. int testX = 4;
    6. int testY = -17;
    7. QRectF rect(testX - 2, testY - 2, 4, 4);
    8. bool intersects = path.intersects(rect);
    9. qDebug() << "Intersects?" << ((intersects) ? "true" : "false");
    10. qDebug() << "Rect: x =" << rect.x() << "| y =" << rect.y() << "| w =" << rect.width() << "| h =" << rect.height();
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

This produces the following output:
    Intersects? true
    Rect: x = 2 | y = -19 | w = 4 | h = 4
    I'd expect the intersects function to return false in this case because no point in the rectangle overlaps with the drawn line. Am I using the function incorrectly?
    Last edited by blooglet; 12th May 2011 at 13:27. Reason: spelling corrections

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Why isn't QPainterPath::intersects giving me the expected result?

I think that your rectangle is top left -> bottom right = (2,-19) -> (6, -23) and therefore intersects at (2,-20) and (6,-20). I think you are assuming that from the start point of the rectangle it is drawn in a positive direction but Qt is drawing from a top down point of view.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60 Maemo/MeeGo

But you point is inside! Take look on a shape! last sector intersects with second sector of path it looks like you mistyped a shape data.
    Last edited by MarekR22; 12th May 2011 at 14:21.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Quote Originally Posted by koan View Post
    I think you are assuming that from the start point of the rectangle it is drawn in a positive direction but Qt is drawing from a top down point of view.
    Wait... so a QRectF with x = 2, y = -19, w = 4 and h = 4 doesn't stretch to (6, -15) but rather (6, -23)? So the height is counted towards lower Y values? I'm confused.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Why guess? Draw both the path and the rect using QPainter and you'll see what gets drawn where.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Here's the reference drawing I obtained.

Qt Code:
    1. path.moveTo(0, 0);
    2. path.lineTo(0, -20);
    3. path.lineTo(40, -20);
    4. path.lineTo(40, -95);
    5. int testX = 4;
    6. int testY = -17;
    7. QRectF rect(testX - 2, testY - 2, 4, 4);
    8. bool intersects = path.intersects(rect);
    9. qDebug() << "Intersects?" << ((intersects) ? "true" : "false");
    10. qDebug() << "Rect: x =" << rect.x() << "| y =" << rect.y() << "| w =" << rect.width() << "| h =" << rect.height();
    12. scene->addPath(path);
    13. scene->addRect(rect);
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

Intersects? true
    Rect: x = 2 | y = -19 | w = 4 | h = 4
    They don't intersect in the drawing, do they?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

"It depends". If the path is treated as a closed path then they intersect. Try moving the rectangle to Y>0 (e.g. x=2, y=1, w=4, h=4) and see if it is still considered intersecting with the path.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

It appears that the rectangle is considered "not intersecting" when it is outside the bounding rectangle of the painter path. This is not the behavior I want. I want to check if the rectangle overlaps with the line. Am I using the wrong method?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

The docs say:
    Set operations on paths will treat the paths as areas. Non-closed paths will be treated as implicitly closed.
    I don't think there is a method in QPainterPath that does directly what you want.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Does Qt provide a way to, given a path consisting of lines that isn't necessarily closed and a mouse coordinate, calculate if I clicked on the path? I then want to extend this concept to "in the vicinity of the path" by using a QRectF instead of a QPointF.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

This is a mathematical problem that can easily be solved without using any dedicated frameworks. Each line conforms to the ax+by+c = 0 equation. Using coordinates of ends of the lines you can calculate a, b and c and then it is easy to compute the solution by substituting x and y with coordinates of the point you wish to check for intersection. It is similar when talking about intersection of lines. And of course there is QLineF::intersect() to help you.