Thread: Pure virtual class with singals and slots

Thanks

Default Pure virtual class with singals and slots

Hello.

I want to write a small tool and like to separate the business logic from the GUI so I can easily make and use different GUIs.

Therefore I've made a class which contains the business logic called AppCore. The GUI class(es) are called MainWindow.

My idea is to pass the constructor of the AppCore a reference to the GUI so the constructor of the AppCore can connect the AppCore singals to the GUI slots and vice versa.

But to make it flexible I don't want to have the actual GUI as type of the parameter but an Interface (pure virtual class) called IGui which the GUI inherits from.

Qt Code:
    1. class IGui
    2. {
    3. public slots:
    4. virtual void slot() = 0;
    6. signals:
    7. virtual void signal() = 0;
    8. };
    10. class MainWindow : public QMainWindow, public IGui
    11. {
    12. Q_OBJECT
    14. public:
    15. explicit MainWindow(QWidget *parent = 0);
    16. ~MainWindow();
    18. private slots:
    19. void slot();
    21. signals:
    22. void signal();
    24. private:
    25. Ui::MainWindow *ui;
    26. };
    28. class AppCore : public QObject
    29. {
    30. Q_OBJECT
    32. public:
    33. explicit AppCore(IGui *gui, QObject *parent = 0);
    35. signals:
    36. void doSlot();
    38. private slots:
    39. void onSingal();
    40. ...
    41. ...
    42. }
    44. AppCore::AppCore(IGui *gui, QObject *parent) :
    45. QObject(parent)
    46. {
    47. connect(gui, SIGNAL(signal()),
    48. this, SLOT(onSingal()));
    50. connect(this, SIGNAL(doSlot()),
    51. gui, SLOT(slot()));
    52. }
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

But when I try to compile I get errors:

AppCore.cpp: In constructor 'AppCore::AppCore(IGui*, QObject*)':
    AppCore.cpp:9: error: no matching function for call to 'AppCore::connect(IGui*&, const char [10], AppCore* const, const char [12])'
    c:\QtSDK\Desktop\Qt\4.8.1\mingw\include\QtCore/qobject.h:204: note: candidates are: static bool QObject::connect(const QObject*, const char*, const QObject*, const char*, Qt::ConnectionType)
    c:\QtSDK\Desktop\Qt\4.8.1\mingw\include\QtCore/qobject.h:217: note: static bool QObject::connect(const QObject*, const QMetaMethod&, const QObject*, const QMetaMethod&, Qt::ConnectionType)
    c:\QtSDK\Desktop\Qt\4.8.1\mingw\include\QtCore/qobject.h:337: note: bool QObject::connect(const QObject*, const char*, const char*, Qt::ConnectionType) const
    AppCore.cpp:12: error: no matching function for call to 'AppCore::connect(AppCore* const, const char [10], IGui*&, const char [8])'
    c:\QtSDK\Desktop\Qt\4.8.1\mingw\include\QtCore/qobject.h:204: note: candidates are: static bool QObject::connect(const QObject*, const char*, const QObject*, const char*, Qt::ConnectionType)
    c:\QtSDK\Desktop\Qt\4.8.1\mingw\include\QtCore/qobject.h:217: note: static bool QObject::connect(const QObject*, const QMetaMethod&, const QObject*, const QMetaMethod&, Qt::ConnectionType)
    c:\QtSDK\Desktop\Qt\4.8.1\mingw\include\QtCore/qobject.h:337: note: bool QObject::connect(const QObject*, const char*, const char*, Qt::ConnectionType) const
    How do I have to do it right?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt5
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Android

Default Re: Pure virtual class with singals and slots

One obvious problem is that IGui doesn't derive from QObject (or other QObject derived class), so it can't use signals and slots.

Thanks

Default Re: Pure virtual class with singals and slots

If I let IGui derive from QObject I get this errors:
    release\moc_MainWindow.cpp: In static member function 'static void MainWindow::qt_static_metacall(QObject*, QMetaObject::Call, int, void**)':
    release\moc_MainWindow.cpp:52: error: 'QObject' is an ambiguous base of 'MainWindow'
    release\moc_MainWindow.cpp: In member function 'virtual const QMetaObject* MainWindow::metaObject() const':
    release\moc_MainWindow.cpp:78: error: 'QObject' is an ambiguous base of 'MainWindow'
    release\moc_MainWindow.cpp:78: error: 'QObject' is an ambiguous base of 'MainWindow'
    release\moc_MainWindow.cpp: In member function 'virtual int MainWindow::qt_metacall(QMetaObject::Call, int, void**)':
    release\moc_MainWindow.cpp:98: error: 'QObject' is an ambiguous base of 'MainWindow'
    release\moc_MainWindow.cpp: In member function 'virtual void MainWindow::signal()':
    release\moc_MainWindow.cpp:107: error: 'QObject' is an ambiguous base of 'MainWindow'