Thread: Pipe multiple QProcess

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default Pipe multiple QProcess

Hello,
    I would like to pipe together multiple processes, so that one or more produces the data and the others read.

I tried using QByteArray, as a buffer, but it's a bit tricky, because of the order in which processes starts and close. So I thought to use another QIODevice, like QBuffer, but I cannot find anything to feed a QIODevice as process stdin/out - but only setStandard(Input|Output|Error)File, which works with QStrings for actual paths.

I am seeking for a simple mechanism, where a the output processes are given one output file as a buffer, and this file is passed as input to the others.

What do you think is the best way to proceed?
    Thanks!

EDIT:
    Also, consider I need to push some generated data to the input processes before they actually start.

The tricky point is how to tell listening processes that input is finished, and therefore the input channel of receiving processes has to be closed correctly when ALL the producing processes (and my data source) have finished. I was thinking to something like a EOF sequence, but I do not think Qt works like that.
    Last edited by akiross; 29th April 2013 at 12:57. Reason: added ino

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Re: Pipe multiple QProcess

Last edited by amleto; 29th April 2013 at 23:34.
    If you have a problem, CUT and PASTE your code. Do not retype or simplify it. Give a COMPLETE and COMPILABLE example of your problem. Otherwise we are all guessing the problem from a fabrication where relevant details are often missing.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

:O that's very, very interesting! Thanks a lot

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

It's also very easy to implement a pipe based on QIODevice.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

wysota, that's interesting. Reading briefly the QIODevice documentation it seems to me that such a pipe would be implemented sub-classing it, using a QByteArray to store writes and emitting readyReads, right?

The only thing I do not understand is if it's possible to automatically attach a QProcess to multiple QIODevice, so that when one has data ready, they are copied to every other connected device... In other words, I do not see why it should be more convenient to use a QIODevice to pipe.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by akiross View Post
    wysota, that's interesting. Reading briefly the QIODevice documentation it seems to me that such a pipe would be implemented sub-classing it, using a QByteArray to store writes and emitting readyReads, right?
    Basically, yes.

The only thing I do not understand is if it's possible to automatically attach a QProcess to multiple QIODevice
    You can implement a multiplexer device that reads from one source and writes to multiple destinations.

In other words, I do not see why it should be more convenient to use a QIODevice to pipe.
    It would be more convenient because you retain the QIODevice API so you can use the pipe with anything that can read from QIODevice or write to QIODevice. Bear in mind QProcess, QFile, QAbstractSocket are all QIODevice subclasses.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Well, my original post was mainly directed to the creation of the multiplexer itself, but it seems that I have to tailor a solution by myself.

Thanks anyway, I will consider creating a QIODevice to pipe (and multiplex).