Thread: QDockWidget

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Question QDockWidget

I am having problems trying to use QDockWidgets. This is my first time using these and they do not behave how I would plan for them to behave. I initially put them all on the right side, 4 in total, but allow them to all be moved to any of the 4 dock locations or to be floated. One thing I dislike about them is that when I move on the dock widgets to another dock area, the widgets resize stretching their items apart from each other. So I set the Horizontal and Vertical size policies to FIXED.

After setting the size policies to FIXED, I am only able to move on dock widget to a dock area after creation. If I move one widget from the right to the left, I cannot add another widget to the left or move this widget back to the right. If I take of the FIXED size, I can move 3/4 the widgets to the left side with no problem, but not the 4th widget. Is there a reason why I can only move one widget to a side when the sizes are fixed and only move 3/4 widgets to a side when the sizes aren't fixed? Thanks again for your help!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60 Maemo/MeeGo

Default Re: QDockWidget

A descriptive screenshot would certainly help us to understand the problem..
    J-P Nurmi

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Unfortunately I will not be able to get you a screen shot. I have been able to get all 4 dock widgets from one side to the other, though it was not an easy task. It was very picky about that. So I guess what I would like to know if there is a way to keep the dock widgets from growing too tall vertically (preferably FIXED although I cannot get it to work) and still be able to move more than 1 dock widget to the same new location. I will see if I can get a small code snippet to prove my point.

I am working on a stand-alone Sun OS 9 machine if this helps any. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Cool Re: QDockWidget

Well I have copied the code onto a Windows box and it works fine in Windows XP. But I still have problems getting the dock widgets to correctly move in Solaris 9. Here is a compilable piece of code that I have run on both Solaris and Windows. It works very nice and easy in Windows, but in Solaris I have no luck. Can somebody else try the code out in Solaris and see if they have the same problem as me? Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60 Maemo/MeeGo

Which style are you using, eg. what does qApp->style()->objectName() output? Does it work better if you launch the app with command line option "-style windows"?
    J-P Nurmi

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

I thought the exaxt same thing as you so I have tried not using the -style flag, I have tried "-style cde" and "-style windows" but to no avail they all behave the same way. I could only get one dock widget on a side when I tried to move them there. They all line up on the right side when I run the program since the code tells it to go there. But after that I cannot move them to a side with multiple docks. Even using the Windows style, where you can tab the dock widgets, it would not allow me to do that. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Has anybody gotten a chance to try this on a Solaris box to see if they have the same problem? Thanks!