Thread: QextSerialPort

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Default QextSerialPort

I'm trying to do a program which sends information to serial port. I have a problem using QextSerialPort class. I don't understand how to add it to my current project. Just add headers and cpp-files or do I have to build it? I'm currently using this how-to with my projects and it seems to work but I have no idea how to make it work with QextSerialPort.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,519 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows Symbian S60 Maemo/MeeGo

Default Re: QextSerialPort

Take a look at project files of QextSerialPort examples. They include a shared .pri file which contains all the "magic":
    Qt Code:
    1. LIBS += ...
    2. INCLUDEPATH += ...
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    You need to link the lib and pass suitable paths for the compiler to find headers.
    J-P Nurmi

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Sorry I don't quite understand. Do you mean that there should be QextSerialPort lib-file and I should link it with my project?

Ps. If you know good tutorials how to set Visual Studio properly I would appreciate it. Every site seems to do it differently and now I'm a bit confused how to proceed.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms

Quote Originally Posted by Diph View Post
    Sorry I don't quite understand. Do you mean that there should be QextSerialPort lib-file and I should link it with my project?
    Yes, QextSerialPort is a library. You should start with compiling it. Once you have done that, take a look at the examples. The examples are ordinary applications using the library. You should do it the same way.
    J-P Nurmi

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11

Quote Originally Posted by jpn View Post
    Yes, QextSerialPort is a library. You should start with compiling it. Once you have done that, take a look at the examples. The examples are ordinary applications using the library. You should do it the same way.
    Now I have compiled it. I have libqextserialport.a and qextserialport.dll files in build directory. Do I have to put these files somewhere and how do I set Visual Studio project settings correctly. If I'm correct I don't have to use pro-file because of autoBuild program.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms

Quote Originally Posted by Diph View Post
    Now I have compiled it. I have libqextserialport.a and qextserialport.dll files in build directory. Do I have to put these files somewhere and how do I set Visual Studio project settings correctly. If I'm correct I don't have to use pro-file because of autoBuild program.
    I have no idea what is an autoBuild program. Visual Studio has been officially supported by qmake since Qt 4.3.2. All I need to take care is to maintain the cross-platform project (.pro) file. Typing "qmake -tp vc" makes qmake to generate a Visual Studio project file for me. That's the way I maintain my projects in Windows. The huge benefit is that based on the .pro file qmake is also able to generate Makefiles for other compilers on various platforms. A Visual Studio project file is not much of use in Linux or Mac.

So, if I would do it, I would simply fill in the necessary LIBS and INCLUDEPATH to the .pro and regenerate the .vcproj and voilà !
    J-P Nurmi