I have an ItemDelegate for a TreeView that contains multiple widgets and displays a different editor for each node type. I also have a docking window that contains a TreeWidget with a heirarchical list of text items. I want the user to be able to double-click on an item in the docking window and then insert the text into the active ItemDelegate editor widget (derived from QTextEdit). I am using the doubleClicked signal in the docking window's TreeWidget, and connecting it to a slot in the ItemDelegate without an issue. I get the double-clicked text in the corresponding Slot of the ItemDelegate. However, I can't figure out how to take that text and insert it into the correct widget inside the editor. The Slot doesn't have any information about the editor (if I use parent() it crashes) so I can't find out which edit field has focus to insert text. I tried emitting another signal from the ItemDelegate to a slot in the editor widget (I made the connection in CreateEditor), but it never gets caught. Any suggestions to try???