Thread: Adding widgets without using any layout. Is it possible?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Windows

Default Adding widgets without using any layout. Is it possible?

Hi all,
    i'm new on Qt. I'm writing my own custom control extending the QWidget class. I need to put buttons on my control (like 1000 or 2000) and i would use the QPushbutton class.
    Is there a way to add buttons and labels to my custom control without putting them into any layout?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Adding widgets without using any layout. Is it possible?

You can place those buttons and labels on a QFrame (as container). You will have to setGeometry() for each button and label. I think it should also work without using QFrame in which case you will have to pass some parent widget.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

I would advise against adding 1,000 - 2,000 QPushbutton's to a QWidget-derived object. Is there a reason why you need to use that many buttons?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Windows

You will have to setGeometry() for each button and label. I think it should also work without using QFrame in which case you will have to pass some parent widget.
    I created my buttons and called setGeometry() for each one and It works. Many thanks.

Is there a reason why you need to use that many buttons?
    I need to control the same number of objects. I'm implementing a grid with 1000-2000 rows and i would put a button on each one for hiding or showing.

Maybe a better solution would be to draw the same amount of QImages and appropriately dispatch mouse events..

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

If you think about 2000 buttons keep the application performance in mind. All these objects have to be handled by the process with all their events and render schedules.
    Can I make a suggestion:
    Why don't you use a TableView with a button delegate. You can call "QAbstractItemView::setItemDelegate (...)" to set your own delegate. In the delegates paint method, you can simply paint a button with QStyleOptionButton and handle the events you need by yourself. What you got is a TableView filled with Buttons without having the overhead of the complex QPushButton instance. You will find example code in the Qt- Documentation.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Windows

Like i said, i'm new on qt. Didn't know about the Qtableview.
    Each row of the grid can contain a non fixed number of other controls (other buttons, custom controls, ecc).
    Does the Qtableview allows to put Qwidgets on the table cells?

You will find example code in the Qt- Documentation.
    Can you please post the link?

Thanks

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

The Star Delegate Example should be a good start. http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.6/itemviews-stardelegate.html

However, the QTableView has a defined column count. You cannot say that one row has a column count of 5 and the other a count of 3 for example. And it is quite complicate to show different controls for each field in the table (not imposible but tricky. Particularly if you want different controls in a row respectively in a column, because it is possible to set a delegate for a row / column but not for a field).

Nevertheless I think you would not be lucky with 2000 constructed buttons / complex controls due to the performance issue.