Thread: Does Qt destroy the widgets automatically or do I need to destroy them myself?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11

Default Does Qt destroy the widgets automatically or do I need to destroy them myself?

Hi!

I am very confused about what a parent means in Qt. I looked at Qt's homepage, I'm especially confused about destruction of widgets. Does parenting have something to do with it?

If I have a widget A and creates a widget B which I set as a child to A, what does this mean besides layout matters? Does it mean that B's destructor is called automatically by Qt when A is destroyed? Does Qt handle all destruction of the GUI? If I create a window with no parent, is this not destroyed by Qt?
    Where can I read about this?

It would be nice if someone could tell me where I can read about destruction, since I have a lot of questions and it maybe is best if I can read about it.

pir

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Re: Does Qt destroy the widgets automatically or do I need to destroy them myself?

Quote Originally Posted by pir
    Does it mean that B's destructor is called automatically by Qt when A is destroyed?
    When QObject is being destroyed, it destroys all of its children.

Since every QWidget is a QObject, all widgets destroy their children automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by pir
    Does Qt handle all destruction of the GUI? If I create a window with no parent, is this not destroyed by Qt?
    No, you have to destroy all widgets without parents yourself (unless you have set the Qt::WA_DeleteOnClose attribute).

http://doc.trolltech.com/4.1/objecttrees.html
    Last edited by jacek; 24th June 2006 at 20:59.