Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Qt Apps banned from Mac App Store?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Qt Apps banned from Mac App Store?

Quote Originally Posted by dhjdhj View Post
    Ah, that could be .... not sure why I don't have it though. This was an attempt to try and avoid the Plugins issue at all. I was following instructions I found on another page in this site.
    QTPLUGIN += qjpeg qgif
    You need static plugins for this to work. Your plugins are not static.

That's true to a purist but not obvious to average non-expert users.
    The download page for Qt SDK clearly states that the SDK consists of Qt libraries, Qt Creator and other development tools. You don't have to be a Qt expert, it's enough to "read what you click".

Presumably the Qt developers are familiar with Qt Creator given its importance in recent times and at the least the build instructions for Qt could have mentioned that extra step.
    I don't think Windows manual states how to install Visual Studio. I'm pretty much sure Windows developers are aware of Visual Studio and its importance to Windows programming

You know, a single sentence like :
    "If you are using Qt Creator, you will need to configure it to use your new qmake. Please refer to the Qt Creator documentation for how to do this"
    Such a heads up would save time for lots of people.
    Even if such a statement was put in Qt docs (although I still think it shouldn't be) it surely wouldn't be in the mac installation section.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Windows/Visual Studio is hardly analagous to Qt/Qt Creator so I'm sure you're correct. On the other hand, .NET framework/Visual Studio would be a good analogy and if you were to go to the appropriate MS development center to pull down .NET frameworks, you will find plenty of references mentioning/reminding that you need to configure VS to use specific versions. Similarly, if you go to places that provide Java libraries for developers, the installation instructions will typically explain in gory detail exactly what you need to do to Eclipse and/or Netbeans to use those libraries.

This is not worth debating ---

I don't think Windows manual states how to install Visual Studio. I'm pretty much sure Windows developers are aware of Visual Studio and its importance to Windows programming

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

All you say might be true only because vendors try to convince you that you should be using their IDE for development. This is not the case with Qt and QtCreator. These are really two separate products and that's a common mistake that people treat them as one.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

So I patched the system, rebuilt everything, added that qt_force_trolltech_settings_to_app_area(true) call at the very beginning of my program.

The good news is that there is no longer a file called com.trolltech.plist being created in ~/Library/Preferences.
    The bad news is that is now a file called com.deskew.plist being created in ~/Library/Preferences, containing the stuff that was in com.trolltech.plist.

I thought the whole point of this patch was so that the files would be created in ~/Application/Preferences instead. Is there an extra magic incantation required to make that happened.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

There is a much better solution available.

Somewhere around #110 of src/corelib/plugin/qfactoryloader.cpp there is:
    Qt Code:
    1. QSettings settings(QSettings::UserScope, QLatin1String("Trolltech"));
    To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 
    Change it to:
    Qt Code:
    1. QSettings *settings_override = 0;
    2. QByteArray settings_override_setting = qgetenv("PLUGINCACHE_OVERRIDE");
    3. if(settings.isEmpty() || settings.toInt()==0) {
    4. settings_override = new QSettings(QSettings::UserScope, QLatin1String("Trolltech"));
    5. } else {
    6. settings_override = new QSettings(QSettings::IniFormat, QSettings::UserScope, QLatin1String("Trolltech"));
    7. }
    9. QSettings& settings(*settings_override);
    After line #195 (just before "#else") add:
    Qt Code:
    1. delete settings_override;

In file src/corelib/plugin/qlibrary.cpp line #630 contains:
    Qt Code:
    1. settings = new QSettings(QSettings::UserScope, QLatin1String("Trolltech"));
    Change it to:
    Qt Code:
    1. QByteArray settings_override_setting = qgetenv("PLUGINCACHE_OVERRIDE");
    2. if(settings.isEmpty() || settings.toInt()==0) {
    3. settings = new QSettings(QSettings::UserScope, QLatin1String("Trolltech"));
    4. } else {
    5. settings = new QSettings(QSettings::IniFormat, QSettings::UserScope, QLatin1String("Trolltech"));
    6. }

Now you can add this to your main() before instantiating QApplication:
    Qt Code:
    1. int main(...) {
    2. qputenv("PLUGINCACHE_OVERRIDE", "1");
    3. QApplication app(...);
    4. // ...
    5. }
    And it should cause the plugin cache to be created as an .ini file which in itself should solve the problem but even if not, you can use qt.conf to control it.

I hope the trick with a reference works but I haven't tested it so you might need to change object based access to pointer based access to QSettings in qfactoryloader.cpp.

6. The following user says thank you to wysota for this useful post:

dhjdhj (24th February 2011)

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Thank you for the suggestion --- I was just getting ready to hunt through the code to do something like this. I have two questions though.

1) I don't understand the purpose of the declaration QByteArray settings_override_setting = qgetenv("PLUGINCACHE_OVERRIDE"); as I don't see that new variable actually used anywhere. I.e, you're setting it from the environment variable but not referring to it anywhere. What's it for?

2) The issue isn't so much as whether the created file is a .ini or a .plist. The issue is the LOCATION where the file is created.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Ouch, true. The next line after the one you refer to should read:
    Qt Code:
    1. if(settings_override_setting.isEmpty() || settings_override_setting.toInt()==0) {

As for your second concern - you can't control the placement of .plist files but you can control the placement of .ini files. That's why converting the plugin cache to an .ini file solves the problem. Then you can place it i.e. in your application's bundle which in my opinion is a reasonable place for it. You can even play with the lines creating the settings files and put them in a location of your choice by specifying different parameters for QSettings constructor. It's much easier this way than to look in Qt's code how you can place the plist file elsewhere.
    Last edited by wysota; 24th February 2011 at 14:41.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Is your patch proposed as an alternative to patching Qt as decribed in the earlier post by Aron?

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

You said you didn't like what his patch did so I quickly came up with another one.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

No, I didn't say I didn't like it --- I said it didn't work as expected and I wondered whether there was some magic extra incantation needed to make it store files in the correct location.

Added after 1 11 minutes:

Is there any way to build an application against a Qt environment that has been "maked" but not actually installed....i.e. to have everything refer to qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.1 instead of /usr/local/Trolltech.....

I tried changing the environment variables from within Qt Creator (QTDIR and PATH) to reflect that reference as well as the argument to qmake but when I watch the build, the compiler and linker still use the /usr/local/Trolltech paths

The reason I want to do this of course is so that I can make quick changes to the Qt source and not have to though a complete reinstall every time.

I'm also wondering what needs to be done to be able to single-step through the Qt source.

Thanks
    Last edited by dhjdhj; 24th February 2011 at 18:48.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

No, I didn't say I didn't like it --- I said it didn't work as expected and I wondered whether there was some magic extra incantation needed to make it store files in the correct location.
    In my world it means you didn't like it

Is there any way to build an application against a Qt environment that has been "maked" but not actually installed....i.e. to have everything refer to qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.1 instead of /usr/local/Trolltech.....

I tried changing the environment variables from within Qt Creator (QTDIR and PATH) to reflect that reference as well as the argument to qmake but when I watch the build, the compiler and linker still use the /usr/local/Trolltech paths

The reason I want to do this of course is so that I can make quick changes to the Qt source and not have to though a complete reinstall every time.
    Reinstall takes a relatively short time compared to trying to find a solution for this problem You can try using qmake -query and qmake -set but I can't guarantee it will work. You can use the -prefix option of configure to point the installation to the build directory itself but again I have never tried it myself.

I'm also wondering what needs to be done to be able to single-step through the Qt source.
    You need Qt built in both release and debug mode. configure -help should give you a couple of insights.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Unfortunately, that's just not true. A very easy way to find out who is invoking a particular call somewhere deep down in a library is to set a breakpoint in it and then look at the stack. If you can't do that easily, then the next approach is to throw in printf (or qDebug()) statements into the library. But that has two problems. The minor one is having to rebuild/reinstall, which takes about 5 minutes each time. The major one is that it's actually quite difficult to throw in printf statements in the right place due to the terrible practice of using return statements in the middle of functions so you can't easily get at the values you want to see.
    Reinstall takes a relatively short time compared to trying to find a solution for this problem

The question is how I can get Qt Creator to step into code in the Qt Library.
    You need Qt built in both release and debug mode. configure -help should give you a couple of insights.
    Flawed logic. My children often don't work (behave) as expected. It doesn't mean I don't like them!
    In my world it means you didn't like it

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

If you can't do that easily,
    Why can't you do that easily?

The minor one is having to rebuild/reinstall, which takes about 5 minutes each time.
    You can reduce that time by rebuilding/reinstalling only that part that really changes. If you wish to rebuild/reinstall only QtCore then cd into src/corelib and run make/make install there.

The major one is that it's actually quite difficult to throw in printf statements in the right place due to the terrible practice of using return statements in the middle of functions so you can't easily get at the values you want to see.
    Have a look at this: http://blog.wysota.eu.org/index.php/...ugging-helper/
    If you use it, it doesn't matter where return statements are. You can modify this little class to suit your needs.

The question is how I can get Qt Creator to step into code in the Qt Library.
    I already told you - build Qt (and your app) in debug mode and use breakpoints. This works the same as with any other app/lib.

Flawed logic. My children often don't work (behave) as expected. It doesn't mean I don't like them!
    There is more than one meaning to the word "like". For instance one is "to be fond of" (as in the case of children) and another "to be satisfied with" (as in case of the patch).

Oh, one remark - please try to place your post content below the relevant quote and not over it. It's much less confusing this way.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Why can't you do that easily?
    Because, in spite of your "how to step through Qt library code", I haven't yet been able to make that work.

If you use it, it doesn't matter where return statements are. You can modify this little class to suit your needs.
    That stuff doesn't help at all. When people write code in the style (I can't get the indentation to display properly on this system)
    Qt Code:
    1. if (foo)
    2. then return bar;
    3. else if (x)
    4. then return y;
    5. else return z;
    then you have to do a lot more work to see what value actually got returned. On the other hand, if one writes
    Qt Code:
    1. QString result;
    2. if (foo)
    3. then result = bar;
    4. else if (x)
    5. then result= y;
    6. else result = z;
    7. return result;
    it then becomes trivial to just throw in a single printf (or qDebug) just before the return. There are other benefits beyond the scope of this conversation. (Hint --- see the writings of Dijkstra, Hoare and others on the value of structured programming)

There is more than one meaning to the word "like".
    Yes ---- that's why one can have humor! (sigh)

We are getting off topic ---- I am just trying to find the place in the code that is causing ANY settings to be written into ~/Library/Preferences instead of ~/Library/Application Support. I found one place in qsettings_mac.cpp and changed it but that didn't seem to stop some stuff from being written into ~/Library/Preferences.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Here you go:
    text Code:
    1. $ grep -R "Library/Preferences" *
    2. configure: QT_INSTALL_SETTINGS=/Library/Preferences/Qt
    3. doc/html/qsettings.html:<li><tt>$HOME/Library/Preferences/com.MySoft.Star Runner.plist</tt></li>
    4. doc/html/qsettings.html:<li><tt>$HOME/Library/Preferences/com.MySoft.plist</tt></li>
    5. doc/html/qsettings.html:<li><tt>/Library/Preferences/com.MySoft.Star Runner.plist</tt></li>
    6. doc/html/qsettings.html:<li><tt>/Library/Preferences/com.MySoft.plist</tt></li>
    7. doc-build/html-qt/qsettings.html:<li><tt>$HOME/Library/Preferences/com.MySoft.Star Runner.plist</tt></li>
    8. doc-build/html-qt/qsettings.html:<li><tt>$HOME/Library/Preferences/com.MySoft.plist</tt></li>
    9. doc-build/html-qt/qsettings.html:<li><tt>/Library/Preferences/com.MySoft.Star Runner.plist</tt></li>
    10. doc-build/html-qt/qsettings.html:<li><tt>/Library/Preferences/com.MySoft.plist</tt></li>
    11. src/corelib/io/qsettings_mac.cpp: result += QLatin1String("/Library/Preferences/");
    12. src/corelib/io/qsettings.cpp: \o \c{$HOME/Library/Preferences/com.MySoft.Star Runner.plist}
    13. src/corelib/io/qsettings.cpp: \o \c{$HOME/Library/Preferences/com.MySoft.plist}
    14. src/corelib/io/qsettings.cpp: \o \c{/Library/Preferences/com.MySoft.Star Runner.plist}
    15. src/corelib/io/qsettings.cpp: \o \c{/Library/Preferences/com.MySoft.plist}
    16. src/3rdparty/webkit/WebCore/plugins/mac/PluginPackageMac.cpp: WTF::RetainPtr<CFStringRef> path = CFStringCreateWithFormat(0, 0, CFSTR("%@/Library/Preferences/%@"), homeDir.get(), fileName.get());
    17. src/plugins/bearer/corewlan/qcorewlanengine.mm: [qtclass]QString[/qtclass] userProfilePath = [qtclass]QDir::homePath()[/qtclass] + "/Library/Preferences/com.apple.eap.profiles.plist";
    18. src/plugins/bearer/corewlan/qcorewlanengine.mm: NSString *filePath = @"/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.airport.preferences.plist";
    19. tests/auto/qsettings/tst_qsettings.cpp: QCOMPARE(s1.fileName(), [qtclass]QDir::homePath()[/qtclass] + "/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Console.plist");
    20. tests/auto/qsettings/tst_qsettings.cpp: QCOMPARE(s2.fileName(), [qtclass]QDir::homePath()[/qtclass] + "/Library/Preferences/com.apple.plist");
    21. tests/auto/qsettings/tst_qsettings.cpp: QCOMPARE(s3.fileName(), QString("/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Console.plist"));
    22. tests/auto/qsettings/tst_qsettings.cpp: QCOMPARE(s4.fileName(), QString("/Library/Preferences/com.apple.plist"));
    23. tests/auto/qsettings/tst_qsettings.cpp: QCOMPARE(s5.fileName(), QString("/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Console.plist"));
    24. tests/auto/qsettings/tst_qsettings.cpp: QCOMPARE(s6.fileName(), QString("/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Console.plist"));
    25. tests/auto/qsettings/tst_qsettings.cpp: QCOMPARE(s7.fileName(), QString("/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Console.plist"));
    26. tests/auto/qsettings/tst_qsettings.cpp: QCOMPARE(s8.fileName(), QString("/Library/Preferences/fr.apple.Console.plist"));
    27. tests/auto/qsettings/tst_qsettings.cpp: QCOMPARE(s9.fileName(), QString("/Library/Preferences/jp.co.apple.Console.plist"));
    28. tests/auto/qsettings/tst_qsettings.cpp: QCOMPARE(s10.fileName(), QString("/Library/Preferences/org.apple.Console.plist"));
    29. tests/auto/qsettings/tst_qsettings.cpp: QCOMPARE(s11.fileName(), QString("/Library/Preferences/net.apple.Console.plist"));
    30. tests/auto/qsettings/tst_qsettings.cpp: QCOMPARE(s12.fileName(), QString("/Library/Preferences/museum.apple.Console.plist"));
    31. tests/auto/qsettings/tst_qsettings.cpp: QCOMPARE(s13.fileName(), QString("/Library/Preferences/fr.apple.Console.plist"));
    32. tests/auto/qsettings/tst_qsettings.cpp: QCOMPARE(s14.fileName(), QString("/Library/Preferences/museum.apple.Console.plist"));
    33. tests/auto/qsettings/tst_qsettings.cpp: QCOMPARE(s15.fileName(), QString("/Library/Preferences/zz.apple.Console.plist"));
    34. tests/auto/qsettings/tst_qsettings.cpp: QCOMPARE(s15_prime.fileName(), QString("/Library/Preferences/com.apple-foo.Console.plist"));
    35. tests/auto/qsettings/tst_qsettings.cpp: QCOMPARE(s16.fileName(), QString("/Library/Preferences/com.apple-f.Console.plist"));
    36. tests/auto/qsettings/tst_qsettings.cpp: QCOMPARE(s17.fileName(), QString("/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Console.plist"));
    37. tests/auto/qsettings/tst_qsettings.cpp: QCOMPARE(s18.fileName(), QString("/Library/Preferences/com.foo-inc.Console.plist"));
    38. tests/auto/qsettings/tst_qsettings.cpp: QCOMPARE(s19.fileName(), QString("/Library/Preferences/com.foo, inc.Console.plist"));
    39. tests/auto/qsettings/tst_qsettings.cpp: QCOMPARE(s20.fileName(), QLatin1String("/Library/Preferences/com. ") + QChar(0xbd) + QLatin1String("foo : barxxx baz!()#@.Console.plist"));
    40. tests/auto/qsettings/tst_qsettings.cpp: QCOMPARE(s21.fileName(), QString("/Library/Preferences/com.foo-bar-baz.Console.plist"));

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Sigh --- thank you, I know how to do a grep --- I would like not to have to change ALL of those files --- just the one that is relevant!

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Most of them are tests, so these need not be changed. Only line #11 and #16-18 are relevant. Plus optionally line #2. But the latter can be changed with a configure parameter. But I still think you should store the plugin cache as an ini file inside the bundle.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Wysota, I really appreciate the information you're giving me. Unfortunately, a bit like the old hot air balloon joke, the information by itself is not that helpful.

SOMEWHERE in the qt library, whatever is setting up the plist file containing stuff like

<dict>
    <key>Trolltech.Qt Factory Cache

is causing that file to be created in ~/Library/Preferences. Yes, it is no longer called com.trolltech.plist but it doesn't help for it to be called with my company name if it is still being created in ~/Library/Preferences.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

I already gave you a solution to this problem. This "somewhere" is qfactoryloader.cpp in line #110. The solution is to place the settings elsewhere. QSettings gives you a number of possibilities to do it including registering your own settings format and redirecting the file there if you don't want to use ini files.

You can even create the file like this:
    Qt Code:
    1. QSettings(QDir::homePath()+"/Application/Preferences/qt.plist", QSettings::NativeFormat);

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    MacOS X Unix/X11 Windows

Opera in Mac Store!
    Isn't Opera build with Qt? So, there should be no problem to get you Qt app to the MacStore.
    Regards,
    jh