Thread: Configure Qt

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

Default Configure Qt

I got the latest Qt 4.5.0, and I FINALLY was able to complete the process (it took 4 hours and 20GB of extra disk space to compile) and now I have my LIB files in qt\lib. I was finally able to compile my program in Visual Studio. So, in my infinite wisdom I decided to run 'nmake distclean' to clear up the extra 20GB of disk space, but I think that is where my problem started. The 2 files, qtmain.lib and qtmaind.lib disappeared. I think the clean up command removed them, but other .lib files are still there.

Can anyone tell me the correct way to clear up all the temp files and keep my .lib intact? Is it okay to run 'nmake distclean' after running nmake?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Configure Qt

Quote Originally Posted by Antebios View Post
    I got the latest Qt 4.5.0, and I FINALLY was able to complete the process (it took 4 hours and 20GB of extra disk space to compile)
    Wow... 20GB? That's huge... It takes less than 5 under 32b Linux and that's mostly because of WebKit which as far as I remember takes about 3GB. Congratulations anyway

So, in my infinite wisdom I decided to run 'nmake distclean' to clear up the extra 20GB of disk space, but I think that is where my problem started. The 2 files, qtmain.lib and qtmaind.lib disappeared. I think the clean up command removed them, but other .lib files are still there.
    Bad idea. You should have called "nmake clean". Distclean removes all generated files - both intermediate and permanent ones.

For compilation I suggest you disable WebKit if you don't need it. Qt will build much faster. Also if you have a multiprocessor or multi-core machine try building Qt concurrently on all processing units (as far as I know bare nmake doesn't allow that).
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

You can also have a look at this post from QtSoftware Labs..

Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows

"nmake clean" worked!!!! Now I can sompile my projects.

The one thing I did before was backup the bin, lib just in case. It did delete the .pdb files, so I just copied them back over "just in case".

Oh, aamer4yu, thanks for the link!! Very interesting.