Thread: Some questions about QT Creator, can I migrate from VS?

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Default Some questions about QT Creator, can I migrate from VS?

Hi,

I have few question about QT Creator to know if I am able to migrate my project to it from Visual Studio.
    1) Does it manage dependences between projects?
    2) I am using some libs that are able for linux (ICU, FreeImage, freetype, openGL), is-it easy to add them in projects?
    3) I don't use QT, CMake is easy to use?
    4) Can we add filters in file tree, like in VS?
    Last edited by flamaros; 26th September 2009 at 17:10.
    Koalabs Studio

Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Some questions about QT Creator, can I migrate from VS?

Quote Originally Posted by flamaros View Post
    1) Does it manage dependences between projects?
    The proper question is "does qmake manage dependencies between projects?" - yes, it does if you set it to.

2) I am using some libs that are able for linux (ICU, FreeImage, freetype, openGL), is-it easy to add them in projects?
    Yes, it is.

3) I don't use QT, CMake is easy to use?
    You can use CMake with or without Qt, it doesn't matter. Is it easy to use? Well... depends what you compare it to.

4) Can we add filters in file tree, like in VS?
    No, but you can add filters in the quickopen tool which gives you similar functionality.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Hmm, in these case I'll take a look, but I need to port my project to gcc compiler.
    Koalabs Studio

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

I don't understand the "but" part in your sentence.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

My project is compiled with the VS compiler for the moment, I'll need to make it able to be build by gcc. I have only minor change to do. I am often working GCC at work (for Nintendo DS and iPhone). I have normally just to rewrite the window creation which actually use Win32 API.
    Koalabs Studio

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

I still don't understand what you meant by "but I need (...)"... One uses the word "but" to denote controversy or contraddiction. The whole sentence looks like you will take a look but you don't think you will be able to port your application to gcc. I don't see any relation between using Creator and porting to gcc - you can use Qt Creator with any compiler supported by qmake - including gcc, msvc or icc.

Qt products
    Qt4
    Platforms
    Windows

Ho, sorry I didn't understand Qt Creator able to support mscv compiler. It seems it can support all compilers, but in this case I need to configure it myself, am I right?

When you said :
    you can use Qt Creator with any compiler supported by qmake - including gcc, msvc or icc.
    I need to understand qmake is not a compiler but "just" a binder for QT syntaxe, and give the corrected code to gcc, msvc or icc?

The main interest for me to use Qt Creator is to be able to use only one project for both Windows and Linux, the easiest way to port applications is to reduce differences between versions.

At work I am using different builders (VS, Xcode, CodeWarrior,...) for the same projects, and it's boring to update them all time.
    Koalabs Studio

Thanks
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Wiki edits

Quote Originally Posted by flamaros View Post
    It seems it can support all compilers, but in this case I need to configure it myself, am I right?
    Not really. Creator doesn't compile your code. It relies on qmake/cmake and make/nmake to do the job. QMake is able to pickup the compilation environment on its own if you follow the basic rules.

I need to understand qmake is not a compiler but "just" a binder for QT syntaxe, and give the corrected code to gcc, msvc or icc?
    QMake is a Makefile generator. Makefiles contain rules for invoking the compiler to do arbitrary tasks (like compilation of C++ applications).

The main interest for me to use Qt Creator is to be able to use only one project for both Windows and Linux, the easiest way to port applications is to reduce differences between versions.
    Qt Creator is just an advanced text editor heavily tailored for editing C++ code - nothing more, nothing less. Just like Visual Studio, by the way... IDE is an environment - it may or may not come with an own toolchain to build projects. There is no problem in using VIsual Studio to write code on Windows and then compile it on Linux.