I have a designer plugin that I would like to add sound to and the sounds need to run in a separate time critical thread. I tested the code (paint event, sound thread) in a test app before migrating this to a plugin. For some reason I have to disable the thread code to get the plugin to load in designer. If I place the class declaration for the sounds QThread in the header file for the plugin designer gives me a segmentation fault. If I move the class declaration for the sounds QThread from the header file into the implementation file designer will open but the plugin does not show up and looking in Help -> About Plugins it says that it can't load the plugin because "undefined symbol: _ZTV10tickThread". I have declared tickThread as:

Qt Code:
  1. class tickThread : public QThread
  2. {
  3. Q_OBJECT
  5. public:
  6. virtual void run();
  7. };
To copy to clipboard, switch view to plain text mode 

I can't find anything on-line about using threads in a plugin other than some older Qt documentation that indicates that it was possible to do in Qt 3.x. Anyone know what needs to be done to use threads in designer 4.x plugins?

I guess I can always add the sound thread to the main application but I would like to understand why I am having issues with it in the plugin.