Thread: Who gets questions answered and who doesn't?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 Times in 4,792 Posts
    Qt products
    Qt3 Qt4 Qt5 Qt/Embedded
    Platforms
    Unix/X11 Windows Android Maemo/MeeGo
    Wiki edits

Default Re: Who gets questions answered and who doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by gjshannon View Post
    What are the criteria for getting questions answered?
    I can tell you how I find threads to answer...

1. I tend to read threads that have 0 replies, so if you reply to yourself instead of editing your original post, I'm likely to miss it.
    2. I tend to stay away from threads and posts that have the word "urgent" in their content.
    3. I tend to stay away from threads that have meaningless titles (like "I need help" or "Question" or "It doesn't work")
    4. I tend to stay away from threads that are simply uninteresting because the same issue was already solved dozens of times and the thread author didn't bother to use the search engine (although this ruins our statistics so if nobody else answers, I usually post a solution or a link to it).
    5. I tend to stay away from threads where people forget to turn off their caps-lock key.
    6. I try to answer every thread that has not been answered even if I don't know the answer at the beginning - I open up assistant and try to find relevant documentation, that's enough most of the times.
    7. When you registered at QtCentre, you were sent an email containing tips about asking questions. Follow them, they are there for a reason.

I need to know this since I don't want to waste my time with the forum if the questions that I am posting are not going to be addressed in some way.
    Maybe the question was simply missed? Try bumping up the thread, maybe you'll get an answer. Questions here are on average answered within an hour from the time they were posted.

I understand that this is a free site, but at the same time I need to determine if this forum is a resource that we can rely upon or not. If it is not then we need to seek help from other places.
    If the question is extremely complex, you might not get an answer - neither here not anywhere else. Live with it, my questions almost always remain unanswered

Sorry to be so blunt. I am trying to determine what are reasonable expectations. We are a small company and are under a shoe-string budget. If the forum is not a good resource then I want to know that up front so we can locate alternatives, maybe purchase support I don't know.
    Being blunt is one thing, but being rude is another. If you discourage people, they might not answer you even if they do know the answer. Quoting Axel's motto - "It's nice to be important but it's also important to be nice".

Edit:
    I just made a search on your posts. Correct me if I'm wrong (I know I'm not so that's just an expression...) but you have posted one question and you posted it yesterday afternoon (European time) possibly when most developers already left their work places to go home for the weekend and forget about programming and solving Qt issues and now after 24 hours during the weekend you complain about your single and only question not being answered? Come on...

I could have answered your question but I can't possibly answer all the questions, I want others to contribute as well. Otherwise the site would be called "Wysota Centre" not "Qt Centre"...
    Last edited by wysota; 14th March 2009 at 18:37.
    Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Please ask Qt related questions on the forum and not using private messages or visitor messages.